Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Good basic solid vintage zz machine? >

Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM

The looks aren't the negative. The underside linkage system is a fail. I've had 4 or 5 and have never liked any of them. My personal opinion of course.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Why no slant needle? I can't think of any disadvantages to one other than you need slant needle feet to go with it.
Rodney
the great visibility of a slant needle outweighs the "it's own feet" thingy IMHO ...... but then I think 'universal' feet are a mean joke anyway (in my experience) ..... hope you find the perfect machine or work out a trade with hubby.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
I don't mind the looks of the 328 - it is a bit more industrial looking, as is the 319, but it works for me.
Do you know that the 319 takes a special needle (206x13) that is expensive and only available in sizes 14 and 12?
You can use a 15x1 but it might strike and break the bobbin case during zig-zag. The fix is to grind the part of the bobbin case the needle hits - crude but very effective.

The special needle is probably the main reason people avoid 319s.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 AM

Weird. The 328K has 2 (very) different looks....
It seems as though the tan ones and the gray/green/blue ones do have different looks to them.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Weird.

The 328K has 2 (very) different looks:

this is how it is listed at ismacs

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...99/328k_bp.jpg

and this is the one we have - better looking, more character, IMO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item3f433a916a
My 328K is like the one on ISMACS but without the light switch.
There is one like the one listed on eBay on Shopgoodwill right now.

Not sure why the different versions, but it doesn't affect the running of them that I can tell.

As far as the underside linkage, that is why I like them. A good solid ZZ machine with NO PLASTIC parts inside to break or wear out.

Joe
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM

In my opinion the linkage is sloppy. LOL. It's one of my least favorite Singer models. The 237 has so much better stitch quality.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Why no slant needle? I can't think of any disadvantages to one other than you need slant needle feet to go with it.
Rodney
Sorry Rodney, got side tracked working on the 185j - got it running pretty good :-) It had made only tiny stitches.

I guess I Could and Would overcome my caution regarding slant needles if a good-deal-machine simply followed me home but basically, I prefer to keep it simple and stick to mostly interchangeable feet and attachments. I'm not a collector, I want machines that are useful for me. You have to have plenty of room to keep things relatively neat and organized, and I'm trying to reduce clutter rather than add to it.... Not sure I'm having much success with that as it is :-)
Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Do you know that the 319 takes a special needle (206x13) that is expensive and only available in sizes 14 and 12?
You can use a 15x1 but it might strike and break the bobbin case during zig-zag. The fix is to grind the part of the bobbin case the needle hits - crude but very effective.

The special needle is probably the main reason people avoid 319s.
Yes, Mike, I read all the info I could gobble up here on the Board and elsewhere on several blogs. The needles weren't the problem for me it was the circumstance that it is so awkward to reach the bobbin. Already I often find it annoying having to stop what I'm doing and change a bobbin using a drop-in bobbin, which most of our machines have, so imagining having to tilt that machine up and balance it in that position while changing a bobbin is a deal breaker for me. Also, you'd have to deal with chasing the thread that falls off the top.....

With the added little 185j that seems quite powerful, it looks like I can stop searching for the time being and settle down with the 328. I like the straight stitch quality as much as the 201's and the zigzag is even and strong as well -- and I have confidence in the machine. Often that matters in how you relate to a machine more than minor differences in quality or looks. Time will tell.

Beyond that, I will have some fun window shopping while I keep my eyes open for a good Japanese bling machine.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

I solved the Singer 319 changing the bobbin problem. Get a table with a hand hole for changing the bobbin - much easier than tilting it back but you do have be able to go by feel - I'm ok with going by feel - I have had to do it often enough on industrial machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hole-001.jpg