View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM
sews

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Do you know that the 319 takes a special needle (206x13) that is expensive and only available in sizes 14 and 12?
You can use a 15x1 but it might strike and break the bobbin case during zig-zag. The fix is to grind the part of the bobbin case the needle hits - crude but very effective.

The special needle is probably the main reason people avoid 319s.
Yes, Mike, I read all the info I could gobble up here on the Board and elsewhere on several blogs. The needles weren't the problem for me it was the circumstance that it is so awkward to reach the bobbin. Already I often find it annoying having to stop what I'm doing and change a bobbin using a drop-in bobbin, which most of our machines have, so imagining having to tilt that machine up and balance it in that position while changing a bobbin is a deal breaker for me. Also, you'd have to deal with chasing the thread that falls off the top.....

With the added little 185j that seems quite powerful, it looks like I can stop searching for the time being and settle down with the 328. I like the straight stitch quality as much as the 201's and the zigzag is even and strong as well -- and I have confidence in the machine. Often that matters in how you relate to a machine more than minor differences in quality or looks. Time will tell.

Beyond that, I will have some fun window shopping while I keep my eyes open for a good Japanese bling machine.