View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 02:05 AM
MagaQuilt

I have started on the second row of this quilt that consist of a flannel sheet, a layer cake and 2 charm packs Both the layer cake and one of the charm packs were bought for a class - I tried a charm pack when they first came out as well as a Bali Pop pack and they put me off pre-cuts forever. I thought they would be very helpful because I cannot really use a rotary cutter very well because of elbow and neck problems. I just don't get on with the pre-cuts. I never used these for the class because I didn't like the technique at all so only did a test block.
Recently I saw a quilt on pinterest or a blog that sparked an idea using the layer cake and the charm pack but also a mini charm but LQS didn't have any mini charms so had to get a charm pack which turned out to be a good thing because the charm pack I had bought for class had a lot of plain, mottled fabrics included.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503108[/ATTACH]
The picture makes the "blocks" look crooked and although they are a bit they are not that bad
I have layered a layer cake fabric on top of the sheet then a charm pack and a "mini charm" then sewn them to the sheet using the 3-step zig-zag. Once I get all 7 rows sewn down I will go down the other direction so I will get a kind of tartan look with the stitching.
I'm very much out of my comfort zone here - I hate raw edges, I dislike working with un-washed fabric, I prefer to starch heavily and aim at prescion piecing BUT I wanted rid of the layer cake and charm pack so I can stop feeling guilty about buying the pre-cuts and not using them. Add to that I need to make a quick quilt to use over the duvet at night because DH gets cold feet. So here I am sewing down pre-cuts
MagaQuilt
Attached Thumbnails wip1.jpg