Old 12-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I have the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro and the stripology ruler. (The Shape Cut Pro is the one most similar in size to the stripology.) There was a recent thread on the stripology ruler here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t257494.html

It really depends on what you like.

The primary disadvantage of the June Tailor, for me, was the fact that it slips. However, I found that if I place another ruler on top of the JT ruler, it no longer slips. Someone in the thread above mentioned this trick. I had treated myself to a Slidelock ruler at the same time that I ordered the Stripology ruler, so that is the one I have been using on top of the JT. Basically what I do now is start in the right-most slot of the JT ruler I want to use and work from right to left. I place the Slidelock a couple of inches to the left of the JT slot, cut, then I lift the Slidelock and move it to the left until it is about 2" to the left of the next slot I want to use for a cut. I am easily able to use my 60mm cutter this way.

The advantage of the Stripology ruler is that by itself it doesn't slip. However, that is a disadvantage too when you are positioning it on top of the fold of a fabric. I found the JT ruler easier to position because it moves easily over the fabric; with the Stripology ruler, you have to lift in order to re-position. At first it seemed like the stripology ruler had an advantage because it is firm; however, again I found there to be a disadvantage. The slots are quite stiff and I found it difficult to use a 60mm cutter in them; after just one or two cuts, I switched to a 45mm cutter because that was much easier.

My preference so far is the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro in combination with a Slidelock ruler. If you already have a JT Shape Cut Pro in good condition, then it might be a better bet to purchase a Slidelock ruler as I did. The one thing I can assure people is that you do not need *both* a JT Shape Cut Pro and a Stripology ruler. They are very, very similar. The Stripology is a little wider, which allows more cuts before you need to move it; however, it is shorter than the JT which can make it more difficult to complete a cut at the far end. The Stripology does not slip and slide over fabric; the JT does, but that can be an advantage as long as you can get it to stop slipping when you cut. The Stripology is made of a more rigid material, but that also makes it (and its slots) less forgiving.