View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 07:55 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

my first suggestion is to make quilt sandwiches. of scraps ( they only need to be about 1-1/2 inches wide) and experiment

I cut my bindings on the bias at 2-7/8 inches - they end up about 7/16 inch wide.

I like a wider bindng. - and when I sew it on I use the far left needle setting, and the "regular" presser foot - with the right edge of the presser foot on top of the edge of the quilt.

My machine is a mid 1980s Pfaff with the idt walkong foot.

I baste the edges of my binding together instead of pressing the strip in half. When the binding is wrapped around the outside of the quilt, the actual/natural fold line is a few threads away from that pressed in center crease.

I also use a long stitch about 3/16 inch or less from the edge of the quilt sandwich.

It is two more steps - but then I only need to worry about lining up two things instead of five - so it is easier for me .

I always have to do a bit of a trial run to get my needle settings right. Thicknss of the batting can also make a difference.

Also - when doing that first stitching - STOP sewing a seam width away from the end of the seam. That 1/4 inch you sometimes see ONLY applies to seams that are that wide.

Last edited by bearisgray; 12-28-2014 at 08:02 AM.