View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Tothill

I have only read page one of this thread. I had missed it until now.

With the end of my marriage I had to make huge cuts to Christmas plans. I do not buy on credit. I did less baking as I could not afford the cost of pricy ingredients (nuts, butter and chocolate).

I told everyone who may have been expecting a gift that I was only buying for my kids this year. I told each of my kids (16, 18 and 29) what my budget was and they told me what they wanted. My brother has younger kids (3 under 8), I bought them token gifts and they loved them. I got the little girls the punching balloons and they played with them for hours when they were over the weekend before Christmas. My nephew got a balsam wood airplane.

I did have a Fondue open house on Christmas Eve and served Christmas Brunch.

I did buy a couple small boxes of chocolates to give as hostess gift, as I was invited to a couple homes over the holidays for a meal.

I am ending the year will all my bills paid and a positive balance in my bank account. I have enough food in my fridge to see us through to my next pay cheque, but not so much that I will have to toss any out.

Am I a scrooge? Some my say that.

But I m not stressed about finances, I did not spend money I could not afford. I am comfortable with my choices.