scrooge or sensible?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 AM

Scrooge hated Christmas. I don't get the impression you hate Christmas. My fav movie esp the 1934 version.

God bless us everyone!

sandy
Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sdwill View Post
I have gotten a "prepaid" debit card and put the the Christmas $ on it. When it's gone, I better have all the Christmas bought because that's it.
I love this it's a perfect way to stay on budget. Great idea
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM

I baked about 200 cookies with my hubbies help. Then I made up Cake pans with lids and put my kids and Mother and Brother's name on them and they are in the cold garage until we go. I have some sewing and quilting gifts for some daughters and granddaughter and other toys for my Great grand children. I shared the expense for my grandson to get an Iphone. We did not go in debt. Just paid the card in full. We always do this way. I love to find bargins at thrift stores but some of the kids would not like that. They will find out some day you get more for your money.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

My parents only paid cash for presents or anything else their entire lives. I wish that I had followed suit. It is very reasonable. No bills.

As far as baking, I have not done a lot this year, as Jim is unemployed and we do not want to make the electric bill any worse.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh and one more thing. When my sister's kids were growing up, I got them presents every year, and not just one each, sometimes 3 or 4. I do not even get a birthday card or emails saying how they are, from either of them.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM

I have made most of our gifts for the last couple of years - I just use my stash and then purchase more stash as fabric sales come along. So far, my family loves my homemade gifts - I look for free patterns on the internet - this year I made a duffle bag, messenger bag, microwave rice bags (like handwarmers), pajama bottoms, quilts, pillows, and a another purse - the only gifts I purchased were a couple of small gifts for the grandchildren and nephews. I purchased wooden toys that I paid less than $ 10.00 during a craft fair.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 AM

When the 5 kids were small, I sewed the girls dresses. No one knew,not even the girls, I sewed at night and cleaned up before anyone got up. We had very little money, so presents were things they needed We were God parents to 8 more. We thought our kids what was important and told them good things would come. When they grew up, they took that advice and now are all doing well. But we kept one thing going even now. Adults who wanted to get a gift and give one, put their name in a hat at Thanksgiving, and took out a different one,, we all did this, that meant buying one gift at the price we set, and one gift. That way no one went broke & every one got a gift. These daysweall have what we need any way, and still had fun. The children still got small gifts from us grandparents until the parents said if we wanted give money it would be o.k. Now they all have college funds started.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 AM

I am fortunate and have been able to spoil my two sons and my dad this year, that said I don't judge on what I get back, I would rather have something no matter how small, a box of sweets, bottle of wine whatever, someone can afford than they put themselves into debt to buy a present. Christmas is about families, love and spending time together not about spending money.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM

We set a budget and stick to that. The same amount for each person, some people get more presents, some less. But everyone gets what they want, for example, my DIL loves live shows, so we get her a gift certificate at the local theater. She picks the show she and our son want to see, we get to babysit! Our oldest son, who enjoys woodworking, but as a Catholic schoolteacher with 3 sons, doesn't have a lot of extra income to spend on things he wants. This year we got him a router table, which he wanted, but couldn't afford. Our youngest granddaughter, 4 months old, needs a high chair, so we bought a toy and a couple outfits, and gave the rest of the money to her parents to put towards a new one. Everybody's happy, the main thing is we spend a day together making memories.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM

I have only read page one of this thread. I had missed it until now.

With the end of my marriage I had to make huge cuts to Christmas plans. I do not buy on credit. I did less baking as I could not afford the cost of pricy ingredients (nuts, butter and chocolate).

I told everyone who may have been expecting a gift that I was only buying for my kids this year. I told each of my kids (16, 18 and 29) what my budget was and they told me what they wanted. My brother has younger kids (3 under 8), I bought them token gifts and they loved them. I got the little girls the punching balloons and they played with them for hours when they were over the weekend before Christmas. My nephew got a balsam wood airplane.

I did have a Fondue open house on Christmas Eve and served Christmas Brunch.

I did buy a couple small boxes of chocolates to give as hostess gift, as I was invited to a couple homes over the holidays for a meal.

I am ending the year will all my bills paid and a positive balance in my bank account. I have enough food in my fridge to see us through to my next pay cheque, but not so much that I will have to toss any out.

Am I a scrooge? Some my say that.

But I m not stressed about finances, I did not spend money I could not afford. I am comfortable with my choices.