View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 AM
pocoellie

Welcome, so glad you joined us. As far as what to do with your inheritance, there are many organizations that would love to receive lap quilts, 99% of my quilts are donated to kids with cancer or some other nasty disease, I also make 2 quilts a year to our local Humane Society as fund raisers. I also live in an isolated area, so when I go where the kids hospital is, I take a pile of them with me and deliver them. The kids and parents are always thrilled to get their own quilt. As for selling, most people don't have a clue about the expense and work that goes into a quilt, since they can get the whole bed "set" at WalMart, KMart, Target for under $100, they figure that only the quilt should be much less, since they're not getting the "set", people don't want to pay much at all, people who KNOW what goes into making a quilt are much more liable to pay the price.

I would love to make quilts for our local nursing home, but after checking with them, they told me that when the resident passes, that if their family doesn't want the quilt, they toss it in the garbage. I asked them why, since they wouldn't be made with a specific person in mind, they said that's their policy, so needless to say, I won't be donating any quilts to them.

Last edited by pocoellie; 12-29-2014 at 06:31 AM.