Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
profannie

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I see you are in New York. Another reader suggested polar fleece backing and I would like to add to that.

If you use polar fleece you will not only save time and money but the quilt will be so cozy!

Using fleece for backing, without batting, enables you to quilt with minimal stitching, in fact it is recommended for a cozier feel, as in 8-10 inches apart! Stitch in the ditch is perfect and you only need to stitch it in one direction, just be sure that direction is PARALLEL TO THE SELVEDGE OF THE FLEECE. This is due to the stretchiness of the fleece. The other way it saves a lot of time is that all you have to do to bind it is cut the fleece 1" away from the edges of the quilt, fold over twice and zig zag down and you're done! You could easily make three quilts in a week this way. Best of luck to you!
I have found that a baby quilt made with 100% cotton is a gift much more appreciated because it makes it more unique. You can find easily for cheap blanket made of fleece or any plolyester blend, but not cotton.