Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Cogito

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Suggestions for the bent metal issue.

First, you really should not strike the metal with a hammer directly. Second the bend seems to have occurred at the pivot, in fact the pivot area looks "dished" from the bend and subsequent rotations.

"I" would start by looking at the underside and determining if it can be removed easily. They assembled it, it should be able to be disassembled.

Once removed place the plate upside down on a smooth hard surface, and then strike the back side with a piece of hardwood. I would use a hammer to strike the hardwood and let the hardwood strike the metal. (Saves on damage to the final piece)

If you have a rawhide mallet or wood hammer that would be ok to strike the plate directly (once removed)
Ok, good. That is how I will proceed. Yes Steve there is a small nut on the underside....I haven't tried to remove that yet....almost all of the screws have rust on them and are frozen so I will have to work some magic on them but I am confident I will be able to remove the plate. I have a rubber mallet but don't see that as helping. I do usually use a block of wood in order to protect the surface I am hitting.