Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away >

The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away

The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away

Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Default The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away

Sooooo...the other day a wonderful fellow QB'er who "heard" me say I wanted an Eldredge Two Spool pm'd me to alert me of an E2S in the Midwest. I emailed them right away and they responded with a couple of pictures. Well all of you would agree the first question to ask is.....does it have it's can???
so I asked....and I received more pictures but none of the bobbin area and no answer to my question. I tried explaining the importance of that can before I would travel 257 miles one way (thank heavens gas is only $1.89 here!). I kept receiving cryptic messages, but none answering that all important question!
I repeatedly gave my phone number for them to call. I offered to call them. My suspicion meter was rising that something seemed weird. I repeatedly thanked them for their patience and the wonderful photos. No calls, no name and then after 11 emails from me saying thank you so much, now could you just peek to the left of the needle under that swinging plate...I get..." I don't have time to mess with this. Maybe this just isn't the machine for you. I'm just gonna sell local.
I was crushed! I left it be for 8 hours. Then I sent one more pleading email....told them I really would like the opportunity to buy this machine. The response came back....ok, it's yours if you want it.
i still had no idea if that can was in there but I didn't dare ask again! I made a judgement call....it had the manual, dated warranty from 1917 and looked clean. So I decided to chance it. My husband is a saint you know...said ok, let's go and off we went. I didn't know what to expect because I still had no name, just an address. I googled it and could see it was a NICE house. We arrived to a huge sprawling mansion, and a youngish couple (late 30's early 40's?) answered. The husband pulled it away from the wall and said "well do your thing, check whatever it is you were asking about." It was there! I said "well some think I'm nuts..." To which I wasn't even able to finish my sentence before he piped up and said "Well we do!" Lol. The emails I had received were so weird and bordered on down right rude but I think after she met my husband and I and we didn't look like raving maniacs she warmed up. Was even down right friendly and sent me her personal address so I can send her picks once I've restored it! Lol!
i want to say a big, big thank you to Alawai for bringing this to my attention! What a great QB friend!
i will be sure to pay this forward. And help her in any way I can.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 PM

So here are some photos. I cleaned her up a tiny bit....what lady would want her picture taken when she looks a fright!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 07:51 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504107[/ATTACH]
Having trouble loading the last file so stay tuned. There are some mild condition issues with bothe the machine and the cabinet. But the most important thing is she sews! I spent several hours today cleaning off mounds of dust balls and some rust. Luckily I have small wooden spools of thread so after cleaning and oiling I popped a spool in her can, threaded the top and voila! Nice lovely first tom stitches. There is still quite a bit of rust I will need to deal with so that it doesn't continue, and the cabinet is in sturdy shape except....2 dollar size holes in the left side and some loss of veneer in various places. Overall though not too horrible.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 PM

Something that will need to be rectified is the bobbin plate. On the later models it was a sliding plate but on this one it is a swinging. It looks like someone tried to lift up on it. It is bent right at the swinging pin so the plate does not sit flush with the bed. For you machinists out there...how can I straighten this out? Is the metal brittle? Can I gently hammer it flat? Should I take it somewhere?
also, what type of adjust do I need to do in order to have the bed assembly come all the way up in the cabinet and sit straight and flush? The lower left corner sits below the cabinet frame a bit.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:07 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504110[/ATTACH]
Finally! Sorry I was having trouble getting this one posted. It is hard for me to reduce file size on my iPad. She will be 98 in March!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 AM

Congrats, your persistance paid off on this one. And kudos to alawai too!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

It is very pretty even in the rough. I'm sure you will do enough research to have it working and looking good - like it should in no time.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Congrats, your persistance paid off on this one. And kudos to alawai too!
Yes without her generous searching and sharing, this would have never happened! I promise Carine (Alawai) that if I or she ever find a machine in this area she wants I will gladly pick it up for her and hold it as long as she needs me too....or who knows maybe deliver! My DH and i just discussed last week that the only area of the US we have not visited is the NE so that is our next vacation destination!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It is very pretty even in the rough. I'm sure you will do enough research to have it working and looking good - like it should in no time.
Gentle nudge? Lol!

Last edited by Cogito; 12-30-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Yay!!! That was quite the adventure, so happy you were able to get it! I'm sure you'll have her purring in no time!!