View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Aszule

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Aszule,
My advice is to consider the expectations of your friend. What will make her happy? -- color, texture, design, workmanship? I don't know her experience, but I have found that a lot of young mothers who are complete novices in the area of quilts are not necessarily impressed with a complicated design, but are completely WOW!ed by beautiful colors and simple designs. Mostly importantly I think your friend will be so pleased that the quilt is something special you have made for her and her baby.

The bottom line is that "less is more" and simple is beautiful. If you find that you enjoy quilting, you can advance without pressure to the difficult patterns at your own pace.

Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the journey!
Part of the reason this pattern appeals to me is because with the fabric I chose I think I can make it look like a starry sky. I want to give the quilt to her with a painting of the quote "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”- Carl Sagan and I was thinking of getting the border of the quilt embroidered with the part of the quote that says "We are made of Star Stuff" to tie them together.