View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 PM
sews

Thanks, Steve -- I may decide to just leave it as is for the time being, it seems a bit risky to try and straighten it. Maybe if we get another hand crank we'd feel more comfortable to try this. Or maybe DH can find a piece of steel of the same thickness and determine what it takes to bend something like this....

Here are some photos:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505433[/ATTACH]
The 28k is a 3/4 machine, my favorite type. I also have a 99 and a Bel Aire Bantam (in my avatar). The decal pattern is called "Victorian".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505434[/ATTACH]
The earlier models of the 28k had this plain chrome plate, later it is patterned with a grape vine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505435[/ATTACH]
Interesting detail - usually one sees a chrome cover near the balance wheel, either curved or flat; here it is a cast piece to match the exterior of the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505436[/ATTACH]
This shows some of the damage. Not only are the decals worn off, but big chunks of the finish are missing. How can that happen? And not just a few, these bruises are all over the machine....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505440[/ATTACH]
The hand crank mechanism. I have to admit I had no idea how this works, so maybe this photo will help someone else understand how the hand crank hooks up to the balance wheel.
Attached Thumbnails 28k_02.jpg   28k_04.jpg   28k_06.jpg   28k_07.jpg   28k_11.jpg  

Last edited by sews; 01-09-2015 at 07:46 PM.