View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 PM
oldtnquiltinglady

Default Question re a noisy sewing machine

Hi QB helpers: I've been sitting here getting refreshed on all kinds of things regarding everyday life for a quilter/sewer. I have not been able to find one mention of how one goes about dealing with a noisy sewing machine. "Roar" noisy, not "needing to be oiled" noisy. I bought a Janome Sewist 6 or 8 months ago, and it has been sitting unused, for the most part, until one day last week. I decided to make myself use it for a piecing project--got it all set up with pads under it, etc.--and set to piecing. The roar drove me nuts.

So, I pulled my FW back out, set it back up, and pieced the quilt top. The Janome is banished to the "not using this one for awhile" table until I get some kind of resolution. I've given some thought to going back to the store where I bought the machine, brand new, and asking them this question. But, in my experience, no one hears the noise but me. This machine probably has not sewn one whole seam in it's entire life on my $350 expenditure. I remember specifically asking for a "quiet" machine when I went into the store for a demonstration, and I now don't know if it was quiet in that store atmosphere or not. I think I was really impressed with it, but after bringing it home, checking it out for all the things explained in the book, then leaving it sitting until I finally had a use for it, I don't know why (or if it is just me) it is so noisy. Help me help me......