Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question re a noisy sewing machine >

Question re a noisy sewing machine

Question re a noisy sewing machine

Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 AM

If it's been sitting, I'd definitely get out the manual and "clean and oil" it. Perhaps some of the oil or lubricant has hardened a bit and not doing the job it was intended to do.

Also check to see if something (attachment or bobbin winder contraption or belt or screw) isn't rubbing or loose. Not familiar with that brand/model, so maybe it has to go back to the store? Let them check it out and see, when you're there, if other models also make that 'roar'.

Good luck.

PS: When maintained, those little FW's do hum so softly and lovingly. Love mine!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM

Well, ladies, thanks for your input. I have just about decided to go back to Bowling Green with machine in hand, and see if indeed, I do have a bad machine. I paid too much for that machine to not be happy with it. If it does turn out to be me, my next problem will be deciding which grandkid gets it for Christmas or an up coming birthday......
Old 01-13-2015, 12:59 PM

I would definitely take it back to the store and let them know it is not quiet and that is specifically what you were looking for. You can probably get a refund or store credit and get a quiet machine. I understand how annoying a noisy machine is! Especially since it is new!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Some here were suggesting she oil/ grease the machine. I was under the impression that new models do not require lube jobs...something to do with the electronics.....I have Viking over 10 yrs old...take in periodically for routine check up.....I don't lube it...maybe they do...she hums.......younger model BL...same thing......
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I would still take it back and have them listen to it. shouldn't make any noise if in good shape. Not even to you.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Some here were suggesting she oil/ grease the machine. I was under the impression that new models do not require lube jobs...something to do with the electronics.....I have Viking over 10 yrs old...take in periodically for routine check up.....I don't lube it...maybe they do...she hums.......younger model BL...same thing......
When a newer machine goes in for service, the tech does oil it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:19 AM

try complete clean and re thread with different threads. Use a different bobbin. My brother makes a right din if the wrong bobbin used, it only works quietly with a specific brother bobbin.
stand the machine on a small quilt, that should deaden noise.
If all that fails take it back.