Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question re a noisy sewing machine >

Question re a noisy sewing machine

Question re a noisy sewing machine

Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Default Question re a noisy sewing machine

Hi QB helpers: I've been sitting here getting refreshed on all kinds of things regarding everyday life for a quilter/sewer. I have not been able to find one mention of how one goes about dealing with a noisy sewing machine. "Roar" noisy, not "needing to be oiled" noisy. I bought a Janome Sewist 6 or 8 months ago, and it has been sitting unused, for the most part, until one day last week. I decided to make myself use it for a piecing project--got it all set up with pads under it, etc.--and set to piecing. The roar drove me nuts.

So, I pulled my FW back out, set it back up, and pieced the quilt top. The Janome is banished to the "not using this one for awhile" table until I get some kind of resolution. I've given some thought to going back to the store where I bought the machine, brand new, and asking them this question. But, in my experience, no one hears the noise but me. This machine probably has not sewn one whole seam in it's entire life on my $350 expenditure. I remember specifically asking for a "quiet" machine when I went into the store for a demonstration, and I now don't know if it was quiet in that store atmosphere or not. I think I was really impressed with it, but after bringing it home, checking it out for all the things explained in the book, then leaving it sitting until I finally had a use for it, I don't know why (or if it is just me) it is so noisy. Help me help me......
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Some machines are noisier than others. When I bought my Bernina 1230 many (many!) years ago, one of my first priorities was a quiet machine. My Bernina just hums and purrs. At the time, I worked in a dealership and most of the machines were what I would consider noisy.

Noise varies for individuals. There are some sound frequencies that bother me that my husband cannot even hear.

Given the information you have provided, about the only options you have are (1) take the machine back to the shop where you bought it and see if they think it is noisy. If at all possible, I would ask to sew on the same model they have in the shop and compare it to yours -- sewing on it in the shop. It may be that the shop has some ambient noise that masks the sound that bothers you. Option (2) is to sell your machine and purchase a different brand. Most dealerships will not take returns on machines, but you may be able to "trade up".

For a machine in this price range, my first choice is always to check on Amazon to see if there is one that Amazon both sells and fulfills. When dealing with Amazon exclusively (instead of a 3rd party seller fulfilled by Amazon), I know I can return something I don't like easily, paying only return shipping (if there's nothing wrong with it and I simply changed my mind. If there's something wrong with the item, I don't even have to pay for return shipping).
Old 01-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

love my Singers (2662 and 401). Purrs like a sleepy cat. Sorry. I did oil and lube my 401. Check out YouTube on it. See if there is a video and if so maybe you can hear how it sounds.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Don't know what model you have but there are videos on Janome Sewist.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I just listened to some of the videos and didn't hear any roar. Sure it's a roar and not a loud hum? My 2662 Singer has a loud hum almost like a low roar. My 401 purrs.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Hi QB helpers: I've been sitting here getting refreshed on all kinds of things regarding everyday life for a quilter/sewer. I have not been able to find one mention of how one goes about dealing with a noisy sewing machine. "Roar" noisy, not "needing to be oiled" noisy. I bought a Janome Sewist 6 or 8 months ago, and it has been sitting unused, for the most part, until one day last week. I decided to make myself use it for a piecing project--got it all set up with pads under it, etc.--and set to piecing. The roar drove me nuts.

So, I pulled my FW back out, set it back up, and pieced the quilt top. The Janome is banished to the "not using this one for awhile" table until I get some kind of resolution. I've given some thought to going back to the store where I bought the machine, brand new, and asking them this question. But, in my experience, no one hears the noise but me. This machine probably has not sewn one whole seam in it's entire life on my $350 expenditure. I remember specifically asking for a "quiet" machine when I went into the store for a demonstration, and I now don't know if it was quiet in that store atmosphere or not. I think I was really impressed with it, but after bringing it home, checking it out for all the things explained in the book, then leaving it sitting until I finally had a use for it, I don't know why (or if it is just me) it is so noisy. Help me help me......
I looked at one of the videos for this machine, and it looks like a really good machine. Not too bad as far as noise (at least to me).
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...09EC6B88839EF2
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post

My singer model 110 is noisy also, Never had 1 hour worth of sewing on it so it is a new one in that way I have had it bout 3 years. I bought it brand new and never liked it because of the noise. I just do not use it, I have several older quiet machines they do the job I want so that is all that matters to me, Price and model is nothing comparing the quietness for me.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 AM

I think you need to do some detective work...find out what part of the machine the noise is coming from. A thud, or popping when the needle goes down can just be a dull needle..a racket under the bed can be a dirty bobbin area, or even just a stray thread caught in there. A whining up by the top can be threads caught somewhere..anywhere!
Listen to it when it's running, then just turn the handwheel and see if you can duplicate the same sound.
I had a very quiet squeak on my machine every time the needle went down..drove me insane! I was sure I was wearing out some part that couldn't be replaced...finally found the offending area and oiled it, and now it's great.
Don't give up on your machine...just spend some time looking for the issue..eventually you will find it!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:41 AM

what is your machine sitting on? maybe try putting a cushioned mat under it and see if it helps. maybe you can contact janome? maybe something is loose or wrong with the machine?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 AM

If your dealer is nearby, why not try bringing the machine in and running it there? You can see if maybe that building just deadens sound and it's the same loudness as their floor model; OR you might discover that yours is unusually noisy, in which case there might be something they can do to fix it.