Old 01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
jeanne49

This is exactly why my mother would not make clothing for people. There were 4 kids in our family and I never had clothing that came from a store, except for underwear, until I graduated high school. She made everything for me and my sister - coats, all our clothing, hats and scarves and she also made the suits that my Dad and brothers wore. A neighbor had a friend who wanted dress made and asked my Mom to do it. Now this was the mid 50's and fabric and patterns didn't cost what they do now but then nothing does. Anyway, this woman expected to just pay for the material and thought my Mom would only charge her like $5.00 to make it. My Mom asked her how much her husband made per hour and why did she expect someone who made something in their home to work for any less. Needless to say she never made the dress and vowed never to make anything for another "outsider" again.

It's unfortunate that some people don't quite understand how much time and effort is put into our quilts. Hope you don't make another one for this woman unless she comes up with a lot more money.