Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 AM

Default This is why we give quilts - not sell them

I was asked to make a quilt by a friend (my boss) at work for a gift for her niece.

I had also "sold" her one (her words not mine!) a month or so ago I had made a while back - my king sized thousand pyramid quilt that she paid $100.00 for because she insisted.

Anyway I gave her all the fabric I had left back - and she came up with a total overall price after the batting and fabric total I had over what she paid. (She bought most of the top fabric - and gave me some cash for the back)

Attached is the spreadsheet to include what my labor cost ended up to be based on the total she came up with.

Granted - she asked how much - but like most of us - I can't put a price on my time...its just time.

Lesson learned....lesson learned......
Attached Thumbnails quilt.png   quilt-pic.png  
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

You already know what your time is worth ...... and your boss already knows what you are paid!
You are worth the same when making quilts!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You already know what your time is worth ...... and your boss already knows what you are paid!
You are worth the same when making quilts!
LOL! No way would she pay that for a quilt
Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM

I would like to know if I can send you some quilts to be quilted ... for $18.62 each???? I will get them right into the mail! Yeah..we hope you learned a lesson
Old 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

$2.66 an hour. Love it!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Why would you feel you time is not valuable??? Mine sure is! And, I am stingy with my time! I started charging $20 an hour for sewing time years ago. You need to determine what your time is worth, and stick to it!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
LOL! No way would she pay that for a quilt
Then that solves it ... don't make stuff for her.

I hope that you do show her your accounting of the fees ..... you are only telling her that you don't need a raise at work, being that you are not making any money on your sewing/quilting.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:58 PM

I sent her the spreadsheet - and just said - for your records - its was a pleasure doing business with you

She replied that the labor was interesting - and how you really can't put a price on that...which is very very true...and again - why we "give" quilts!!

I have to say - at least I will have what I need to get a brand new big huge roll of batting - so that will be good!!

Its so hard to so stuff like this for friends. I really don't want to be like that - but when you put the numbers down it really opens your eyes....I just want to shut mine again!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Some of my family is starting to ask me to make quilts for their family...in other words a brother (I have 4 brothers & 1 sister I wasn't raised with) asking me to make a quilt for his granddaughter. I said I would and he asked me how much. I OFFERED to do it for free using SCRAPS. If anyone else asks (and this could potentially open the floodgates of askers) I will charge them the cost of at least all materials and only make it when I want to...not when they want it done. If it takes a year to get to them then so be it...1 of my nephews (I'm close to) asked me if I'd make a quilt for him, any pattern/any size as long as it was from me). He asked me well over a year ago and I'm finally getting around to cutting fabrics to make 1 for him. That's just how I roll.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

You are so right. I just give quilts to my friends because it is so difficult to put a price on the quilt. After the first quilt, I would NOT make another. I would come up with any excuse that you have family members to make quilts for special occasions. Keep it friendly.