View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
yobrosew

At church sewing circle years ago this is how we laid out the quilts to tie.

Automotive clamps were used to clamp down the layered quilt to the banquet tables and then slid down the side, reclamped and a new portion clamped to the table. At the start of the tieing the center of the quilt was the starting point. Sometimes in four hours twenty to twenty-five quilts would be tied. They were on table loose enough to pinch where going to tie so as not to scratch the table; pinch at go straight through instead of down-and-up. Took me some time to get it as it was not as easy as it looked to pinch correctly! Thumb and index finger spread out and placed hard against the table and slid together. All I know is these ladies kicked out a lot of quilts (which they called blankets) and sent them all over the world. They liked to make the blankets/quilts size HUGE so entire refugee families could fit under them together or could be used as a tarp of sorts if needed or folded up to mattress. The end products, even though all different fabric contents and not perfectly cut, ended up actually being beautiful. I don't know how many times I looked at a finished one and wished I could take it home.