View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
ILoveToQuilt

I go to a lot of different types of "shows"...antiques, hunting & fishing, quilts, etc. Often, there will be vendors there selling home improvements. When stopped by them I always tell them "my landlord won't let me...(install new windows, gutters, etc.)". Stops them cold...

My absolute favorite nuisance call is from "Windows" (yes, I know it is a scam). When they start in, I tell them that yes, I have windows, need new ones, but want the ones that tilt in to clean, have permanent screens, are tinted...they hang up on me quickly.

If you do answer a sales call and they ask you to say, "push #2 to opt out or stop these calls" DO NOT DO IT! This confirms to the company that they have reached a working phone and the calls will continue. Best to just hang up.

Also, if you have any type of credit card (not sure if debit cards work this way), you can and will receive calls from "card holder services" (gee...how many of us know Rachel???) about lowering your interest rates, etc. Being on the Do Not Call list means nothing. Because you have a card, you agree to get these calls. I have spoken with both MasterCard and Visa about the calls and they have told me it is written in the list of "rules" etc., you receive when you first got the card. You have agreed to the calls when you signed up for the card. Only way to stop these calls...cancel the card. Except then you will get the calls asking you to "come back"...a no win situation.

I've noticed that a lot of the so-called "contests" are not contests at all. You have agreed to a "time share" sales opportunity ("you have won an all expense paid weekend at XXX Resort", a free 3 day cruise, etc.). Different companies are using these tactics (Cabela's, LL Bean, Bass Pro to name a few) and unless you read the small print on the back of their "contest" form (front usually says something like "Win a $500 gift card or shopping spree to XXX") you won't be aware that you have just opened yourself up to calls. Being on the Do Not Call list won't stop these calls because you agreed to receive them just by signing up to win that gift card. The stores do award the gift card to a winner, but the "sales" company gets so many more names to hassle!

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 01-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.