Thread: Too much fabric
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Notwendy

I'm still in the fabric acquisition stage (I hear it never ends). My LQS bought out a local Etsy dealer and passed the savings on to us with a great sale on Saturday. Most was Michael Miller, but there were also plenty of other fine fabrics including some beautiful linen mixes, widebacks, etc. It was all priced between $3 and $5.99 a yard ($8 for widebacks). I made out like a bandit and wished I'd bought more. : )

All that being said - I also get overwhelmed with the possibilities. I have too many projects started but none finished (I'm very distractible). I look at all the beautiful fabric and can't make myself cut it up - what if I ruin it? What if it could be used for something better later? Maybe I should practice on cheap fabric that I don't like (talk about a motivation destroyer - who wants to waste time on something they don't like?).

To get over myself, I'm trying to allow myself to suck. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm trying to loosen up by not following a pattern, matching points, etc. I'm cutting into my fabric to do improv piecing like Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Studio. It appeals to me design-wise and I can't get hung up in the "rules" and talk myself into a frenzy of self-doubt. I'll only get better by doing.

Plus, they'll make more fabric. Probably. So I'll still buy a few yards (or 36) when I run across a great sale.