Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too much fabric >

Too much fabric

Too much fabric

Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Cool Too much fabric

Not possible, right? I am making needle wallets for myself, my sister and a friend and when I look at my fabrics, I get totally overwhelmed. I have no idea what I want to use and every time I look, I can't even think. ugh. It's much easier to do a quilt where I just get a whole line of fabrics out.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Gasp.......Never, there is never too much fabric!!!
Yea, I sometimes get overwhelmed too. I have a couple thousand yards hanging around here. But it sure is nice when at the spur of them moment you want to make a quilt and can pull everything you need without having to go out the door.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

i know just what you mean. and when i'm choosing fabric that will be leaving my house, i'll pick out something and change my mind because i want that one piece for something that will stay in the family
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Well, never enough fabric!

Here is a needle case I made using just part of a border fabric. I actually made several and by different places I cut they each looked different from each other. Making them out of plain fabric and embellishing them is also something I have done. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails needlebook.jpg   nb-2.jpg   nb-3.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Never too much fabric
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM

I'm still in the fabric acquisition stage (I hear it never ends). My LQS bought out a local Etsy dealer and passed the savings on to us with a great sale on Saturday. Most was Michael Miller, but there were also plenty of other fine fabrics including some beautiful linen mixes, widebacks, etc. It was all priced between $3 and $5.99 a yard ($8 for widebacks). I made out like a bandit and wished I'd bought more. : )

All that being said - I also get overwhelmed with the possibilities. I have too many projects started but none finished (I'm very distractible). I look at all the beautiful fabric and can't make myself cut it up - what if I ruin it? What if it could be used for something better later? Maybe I should practice on cheap fabric that I don't like (talk about a motivation destroyer - who wants to waste time on something they don't like?).

To get over myself, I'm trying to allow myself to suck. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm trying to loosen up by not following a pattern, matching points, etc. I'm cutting into my fabric to do improv piecing like Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Studio. It appeals to me design-wise and I can't get hung up in the "rules" and talk myself into a frenzy of self-doubt. I'll only get better by doing.

Plus, they'll make more fabric. Probably. So I'll still buy a few yards (or 36) when I run across a great sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Cute needle case. I have my fabric on mini bolts and in order of colour or collection. It makes it easy to see what I have when inspiration strikes. If your stash isn't on mini bolts where you can see it, I highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 PM

If you are getting a feeling that you own enough fabric, you might want to join a Yahoo group called "stashbusters". They are an inspiration to me -- and I have would most would consider a smaller stash -- working in a fabric store, I have a constant supply so need not to buy it today. That said, I have found that in the last couple of years as fabric prices have risen, I've been buying more when there were big sales! So now have enough so that just a few days ago, needing to make a store sample for an upcoming class I'm going to teach, was able to construct a nicely coordinated 48" square quilt from .... ta da .... my stash! That felt wonderful!

Do I still buy -- you betcha! But more apt to see what I have at home first and add to those wonderful pieces which I already know I love. Give them the chance to see their destiny in a quilt. I enjoy going through the selection process - and having it organized is a wonderful way to make sure you didn't miss some wonderful choices.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:49 PM

I can so relate. I am learning to trust my gut more when choosing among soooo many good fabrics. I would say for fabric wallets, start with the three favorite main colors ( you, your sister's, your friends's). Then choose one accent color. Grab the fabric that gives you the greatest adrenaline rush at the moment. Don't overthink it. It's just a wallet, not a wedding gown .
Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM

I am definitely in the "look over here at the new fabric!" category. Lately I've been buying fabric for specific projects, and ignoring my stash. The old fabric doesn't seem to inspire me anymore. My tastes have changed. Perhaps it's time for me to purge!