Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too much fabric >

Too much fabric

Too much fabric

Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 AM

I am one who says "Never enough fabric". I do have enough and actually I do not like many of the "newer fabrics". So stash busting is fun for me.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Organization is the best policy as your stash grow. Cute needle case Linda.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
If you are getting a feeling that you own enough fabric, you might want to join a Yahoo group called "stashbusters". They are an inspiration to me -- and I have would most would consider a smaller stash -- working in a fabric store, I have a constant supply so need not to buy it today. That said, I have found that in the last couple of years as fabric prices have risen, I've been buying more when there were big sales! So now have enough so that just a few days ago, needing to make a store sample for an upcoming class I'm going to teach, was able to construct a nicely coordinated 48" square quilt from .... ta da .... my stash! That felt wonderful!

Do I still buy -- you betcha! But more apt to see what I have at home first and add to those wonderful pieces which I already know I love. Give them the chance to see their destiny in a quilt. I enjoy going through the selection process - and having it organized is a wonderful way to make sure you didn't miss some wonderful choices.
Could you put a link to "stashbusters" site? I am interested but kind of computer illiterate. Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 AM

I am using my stash to make backings for quilts. I have so much fabric and at 68 years old I am trying to use some of it up. If I run out (very unlikely) I will buy more. lol
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
I'm still in the fabric acquisition stage (I hear it never ends). My LQS bought out a local Etsy dealer and passed the savings on to us with a great sale on Saturday. Most was Michael Miller, but there were also plenty of other fine fabrics including some beautiful linen mixes, widebacks, etc. It was all priced between $3 and $5.99 a yard ($8 for widebacks). I made out like a bandit and wished I'd bought more. : )

All that being said - I also get overwhelmed with the possibilities. I have too many projects started but none finished (I'm very distractible). I look at all the beautiful fabric and can't make myself cut it up - what if I ruin it? What if it could be used for something better later? Maybe I should practice on cheap fabric that I don't like (talk about a motivation destroyer - who wants to waste time on something they don't like?).

To get over myself, I'm trying to allow myself to suck. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm trying to loosen up by not following a pattern, matching points, etc. I'm cutting into my fabric to do improv piecing like Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Studio. It appeals to me design-wise and I can't get hung up in the "rules" and talk myself into a frenzy of self-doubt. I'll only get better by doing.

Plus, they'll make more fabric. Probably. So I'll still buy a few yards (or 36) when I run across a great sale.
This is exactly how I feel. I call it being "paralyzed by the stash." I agree, jumping in to a project and not worrying about whether it goes wrong can be wonderfully freeing!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 AM

I love what I call "rule-free" quilts!! I make crazy quilts out of all my littlest scraps and it's a very freeing and fun project to work on. I just rip muslin squares (which is fun to do all on its own) and stitch all my itty bittyies down to the muslin in whatever way they fit best. If I'm in a spot where I can't stitch & flip to get a good seam I'll just take a glue stick and fold over a seam allowance on the new piece and topstitch it in place. Or if it's a batik I'll just leave a raw edge. Then sometimes I put in some bright thick thread and do random decorative stitches over some of the seams. And sometimes I don't!

Essentially, I just play. I play with the fabric, I play with thread, I play with decorative stitches on my machine I'd never use otherwise....lots of fun. And when I'm done I have a very interesting looking quilt and a smaller scrap pile. Win-win!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM

NO, NEVER TOO MUCH. Now with that said, take a deep breath. Get a bit of chocolate and your favorite drink, and relax. Now that you have your self back under control, look at your smaller cuts of fabric (1/2, 1/4 even 1/8). Because your looking at making things that don't require a lot of yardage, look at your scraps and smaller cuts. This should be much easier, and less overwhelming. Running into the OVERWHELMING thing in my house at this time too, but it's my DH who is overwhelmed (had to move my sewing around and now he has seen about half my stash, if I'm not careful he will have the big one - he just doesn't understand how much fabric a quilt takes). Good luck and as I said have some chocolate and breath.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM

Fabric is like a box of crayons. It's never too much. I love having my stash to start a project.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 AM

I have not quilted anything in almost two years. I have purchased fabric, thinking I will make something with it, bought at least $500 in quilt kits, thinking that finding the right fabrics will motivate me, but I just cannot seem to make the time to sew. Always too much going on. I sure hope my daughter wants to be a quilter because at this rate, she is going to inherit a HUGE stash.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I say you can never have too much fabric, however, my family, especially my DH would argue the point. I had to purge nearly half of my stash when we down sized to an apt., so I no longer have a sewing room. I try to keep my fabric buying within my limited budget, however, I always seem to need just one more fabric to complete a quilt, or I've run out of neutrals. I did make a full size quilt for our DGD in purple, pinks and some blue (her favorite colors), and I actually managed to make it entirely from my stash, except for the backing, didn't have a piece big enough. Of course, the quilt had butterflies, dragonflies, hearts, flowers, pinwheels, etc. so I needed a big variety, which I managed to come up with. I even made her 2 pillowcases to go with the quilt, good thing I made it larger as initially they wanted a twin size quilt. My DDIL just asked me to make her a dresser scarf for her new dresser, and bless her said it didn't have to match exactly - good thing as I used up almost all those fabrics making the quilt, but I'm hoping she will like it.