Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Too much fabric >
  • Too much fabric

• Too much fabric

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I love what I call "rule-free" quilts!! I make crazy quilts out of all my littlest scraps and it's a very freeing and fun project to work on. I just rip muslin squares (which is fun to do all on its own) and stitch all my itty bittyies down to the muslin in whatever way they fit best.
    Ya, i have a work in progress, sort of progress. I have 8 pieces of muslin that I cut a long time ago that I fill up with crazy pieces of whatever I am working on. I have a large bag of various cuts, triangles, parallelograms, long strips, an unused block or two... they just get placed on the existing fabric or muslin good side down, sewn one edge then flipped. What can be stuffed under another piece get stuffed, what can't gets a fine zigzag or other fancy topstitch to cover the exposed edges. I have three of those 8 blocks done, it is going to be a heavy quilt when finished with hundreds of different fabrics and dozens of different threads pulling it together. The cool part is when you get to an edge, you hang pieces of fabric over the edge but don't sew within 1/2 inch of the edge of the muslin so you can piece the muslin backing fabric together then clean up all the overhangs. Another ten years and it will be done. tim in san jose
    Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM

My stash is actually organized and I still have trouble! I keep it on comic book boards. I'm going to pick something today if it kills me.
    Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Yes I have lots of fabric but I still like to buy new pieces to add to something I'm making. I try to shop in my stash (I make scrappy and charity quilts). If you really feel you have too much fabric, please consider giving it to a charity, senior citizens group, or to a church group or quilt guild.
    Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Well I did it. I remembered I had some fat quarters from a line called Sweet Stitches. Perfect, right? And I have enough for all 3. woohoo!
    Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Stashbuster is a yahoo group. I am a member, and probably have a different url than a non-member, but try this:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/stashbuster/ It should get you at least close enough.

Stashbuster is responsible, with my cooperation, for the fact that I have bought very little fabric in the last ten years or so. That is because I have quite a large stash of my own, nicely organized for the most part, plus fabric -- often scraps and odd yardage -- people give me for the quilts I make for homeless families. I make or help make about 60 adult-sized quilts a year since 1996. It is the charity fabric that is more out of control, and I just don't have room for more. And yes, I do give fabric away locally, especially to charity quilters. In the past 2 years, I haven't sewed as much as normal because of medical issues. I'm getting better and hope to change that very soon.

For most of my future sewing, I will need no more than background and border fabrics, maybe thread, and probably batting. It's easy to resist new fabric when my first question is: where in the world will I put it? I suppose that is a position that many of you will envy but, believe me, drowning in fabric isn't fun either. I'd rather sew than do stash management.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 02-03-2015 at 03:04 PM.
    Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 PM

That got me thinking I am a senior citizen and I have too much fabric, fabric I will never use and quite a lot of scraps from quilts I have already made not enough to make another from. So bagged it up I am donating what I WILL not ever get to use and have no desire to use. I got it bagged today and I feel better already
    Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM

I have my fabrics all fold and stored in an old filing cabinet that has fold down doors. I don't sort mine by colors as most of my quilts are scrappys anyways. The larger pieces are folded and on a single pile. Im only in the beginning stages of collecting fabs and by the looks of many here, I have a long way to go. lol Im happy with scraps as they make happy quilts.
    Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Now that is a phrase not allowed in my house. When some one makes a comment on my 1/2 sized JoAnn's store I thank them for the compliment. : ) - I would never cut into any yardage for something this small-scrap pieces would work much better.
    Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Yesterday I was reading this thread and it dawned on me that I need a needle case since I have been doing 2 different hand sewing quilts. I have used pin cushions for so long, and they are great for pins but not for needles. (Another thread here talked about the # of lost needles in pin cushions and it was an eye opener too.) And since I had some felt squares it was time to just do it! And not to over think the fabric I had some florals sitting out and chose a fabric that matched some ribbon I had handy. The pattern I used was a freebie called "Housewife Needle Case". And I have to say, it was very satisfying to get it done from start to finish in less than an hour.
    Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM

As all agree, there is no such thing as "too much fabric", but if you are having trouble finding something you want to use. Pick out a focal fabric, then choose something that compliments that. You can do it. I know you can