Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too much fabric >

Too much fabric

Too much fabric

Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM

Gale,
Making needle wallets is fine, but you aren't going to make much of a dent in your stash! I make tissue holders, and that project has the same effect -- it is fun, but no noticeable decline in the stash.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM

I think there is a point where there is too much fabric in a stash. Each reaches that point individually and there is no hard and fast rule. I have decided to not purchase anything until I can get back to that feeling good about my stash, rather than feel overwhelmed.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM

I'm not in the position to sew much right now so I'm telling myself that if I can't play (with fabric), I can't pay (for any more) right now. We'll see how well that works! I would love to get a simple baby quilt done by May. I do have a weekend quilt getaway when I can start that. Other than that, I'm sticking with hanging out with DH in the cozy family room and knitting after work for now.

But enough about me, tell yourself your wallets are just for practice and try not to stress over them too much. You may find it makes it easier to pick out the fabrics. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
I'm still in the fabric acquisition stage (I hear it never ends). My LQS bought out a local Etsy dealer and passed the savings on to us with a great sale on Saturday. Most was Michael Miller, but there were also plenty of other fine fabrics including some beautiful linen mixes, widebacks, etc. It was all priced between $3 and $5.99 a yard ($8 for widebacks). I made out like a bandit and wished I'd bought more. : )

All that being said - I also get overwhelmed with the possibilities. I have too many projects started but none finished (I'm very distractible). I look at all the beautiful fabric and can't make myself cut it up - what if I ruin it? What if it could be used for something better later? Maybe I should practice on cheap fabric that I don't like (talk about a motivation destroyer - who wants to waste time on something they don't like?).

To get over myself, I'm trying to allow myself to suck. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm trying to loosen up by not following a pattern, matching points, etc. I'm cutting into my fabric to do improv piecing like Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Studio. It appeals to me design-wise and I can't get hung up in the "rules" and talk myself into a frenzy of self-doubt. I'll only get better by doing.

Plus, they'll make more fabric. Probably. So I'll still buy a few yards (or 36) when I run across a great sale.
what if I ruin it?... A perfect reason to buy more fabric!

I have been staying out of fabric stores because I know I will want to look at the colors and patterns and buy, buy, buy. It's worked pretty well, sorta.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM

I have actually gotten to the point where I don't go out and buy more fabric, especially not fabric just for the stash.
Two reasons:
1.) I have enough fabric for twenty more quilts not counting the dozen I already have started. At the rate I sew, that means I have enough fabric till I am about 93.
2.) The golden age of fabric is over. At least for me. Sherril Kahn no longer designs for Kaufmann, most of the interesting earth tone and rock pattern fabrics I would use in my SW motif quilts are out of production. Nothing in the local quilt store interests me anymore (and it is a good quilt store).
I occasionally go pick up a piece of 105" backing fabric, perhaps a piece of textured black or white for a background piece but no.... my stash is what it is.

tim in san jose
Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 AM

Too much fabric??? No ,I wouldn't think so....but my dh....well Fabricland called to say they were having a sale and he wondered if they were holding it here!! His opinion doesn't count though ))
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 AM

Too much fabric? Yes! Especially when you realize how much money you have tied up in that stash. In the last two years I have bought only fabric that I needed to complete a project.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:47 AM

What are mini bolts?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 AM

I was just telling my husband...."Don't let me buy any more fabric"....I have a small "storage room" that is filled with fabric, patterns, books, etc. My tub of blue fabrics is so heavy that I barely push it around to get to the batiks.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 AM

We are moving to a new house and I have moved my stash but not the tubs of scraps yet! I didn't count my mini bolts...they are now all organized by color...hurray...but I moved 116 bolts...I believe my stash is quite sufficient for the moment!! I can't wait to be in the house and sew, sew, sew!!