View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
mpspeedy2

Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
I've been sewing for 30 years, quilting 15 years and this weekend finally bought my first embroidery machine! I'm so excited to start "playing" with it and I'm asking for any advice you can give me on all aspects of my new hobby, thread, stabilizers, brand names to stay away from, websites, etc. I got a Brother 770 in the box from the dealer, they say I should buy all my supplies from them, but I'm sure you guys know cheaper places to buy this stuff from. They acted as if I were speaking greek when I mentioned buying from connectingthreads. Thank you!
My first Bernina was a stand alone embroidery machine. It is probably going on 20 years old and doesn't owe me a thing. I spent at least $1000 over the years for additional software for it. Some of it I probably haven't used more than once if that often. When I started getting worried about not being able to use the software the newer Bernina embroidery machines, I purchased a Brother machine that uses the same format PES. In the past 20 years I have probably embroidered close to 1000 items or objects between the two machines. I like the stand alone embroidery machine because I can start a project on it and let it run while I am sewing on my regular Bernina. I only have to tend to it to change the colors etc. I rarely purchase my supplies from anywhere but JoAnn's or the machine dealer. They both have lots of thread, stabilizers and any other supplies I need for both of my embroidery machines. I did purchase some bigger hoops from "Nancy's Notions". I really don't know if they are cheaper than mail order but I don't really care. If I see something I want or need I buy it.