Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machine >

embroidery machine

embroidery machine

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM

I get most of my supplies (stabilizers, threads) from either Threadart.com or Metroemb.com
They have great prices and the thread is of excellent quality. Just buy one or two small cones or spools to try in your 770...if you like it...then you know you can buy more. I get my needles from Threadart, but they are less costly on ebay from Sharpsewing.

Marge

Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
I've been sewing for 30 years, quilting 15 years and this weekend finally bought my first embroidery machine! I'm so excited to start "playing" with it and I'm asking for any advice you can give me on all aspects of my new hobby, thread, stabilizers, brand names to stay away from, websites, etc. I got a Brother 770 in the box from the dealer, they say I should buy all my supplies from them, but I'm sure you guys know cheaper places to buy this stuff from. They acted as if I were speaking greek when I mentioned buying from connectingthreads. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
I've been sewing for 30 years, quilting 15 years and this weekend finally bought my first embroidery machine! I'm so excited to start "playing" with it and I'm asking for any advice you can give me on all aspects of my new hobby, thread, stabilizers, brand names to stay away from, websites, etc. I got a Brother 770 in the box from the dealer, they say I should buy all my supplies from them, but I'm sure you guys know cheaper places to buy this stuff from. They acted as if I were speaking greek when I mentioned buying from connectingthreads. Thank you!
My first Bernina was a stand alone embroidery machine. It is probably going on 20 years old and doesn't owe me a thing. I spent at least $1000 over the years for additional software for it. Some of it I probably haven't used more than once if that often. When I started getting worried about not being able to use the software the newer Bernina embroidery machines, I purchased a Brother machine that uses the same format PES. In the past 20 years I have probably embroidered close to 1000 items or objects between the two machines. I like the stand alone embroidery machine because I can start a project on it and let it run while I am sewing on my regular Bernina. I only have to tend to it to change the colors etc. I rarely purchase my supplies from anywhere but JoAnn's or the machine dealer. They both have lots of thread, stabilizers and any other supplies I need for both of my embroidery machines. I did purchase some bigger hoops from "Nancy's Notions". I really don't know if they are cheaper than mail order but I don't really care. If I see something I want or need I buy it.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM

My suggestion....don't expect to be perfect the first time out. It took me almost two years to figure out which thread my machine likes. I rushed in to getting a bunch of thread from Ebay. My friend uses them all the time. But my machine didn't like them at all. I tried different threads, stablizers, bobbin thread. My machine also does not like the prewound bobbins. Don't start with a real dense design. Starch your fabric, I use spray basting between my fabric and stabilizer. It may not work for you. Just keep trying until you get the effect you want. I now know what my machine likes and doesn't like, and I've been using it almost every day. I love it and it was worth all the aggravation. So go slow, and have fun.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:36 PM

check out embroidery library- Kenny's Korner - for all sorts of help
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM

If your dealer has an embroidery club, join up. I have a Bernina and the dealer I bought from had an embroidery club and that is where I got a lot of information and could visit with others who had the same or different machines. One thing I found is use a good stabilizer for good results.