View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by mcfay View Post
I was thinking it jumped time, but would the hook even pick up the top thread if it had jumped time.
Typically not, no. It's easy to check timing to rule it out. We've been discussing timing in this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7097563

I don't think your Pfaff has a timing line on the needle bar anywhere though does it? That makes it a little harder to check. Make sure your needle is set to the center position and put it on straight stitch. The Pfaff service manual for that machine says that you check it at this point:

Turn the handwheel until the needle is all the way down, then continue turning until it has risen 2.2mm. At that point - the hook point should be exactly behind the centerline of the needle.
1 inch = 25.4 mm so that check is done at 0.0866" or just a little more than 1/12". This is a little less friendly than the Singer machines and wanders into feeler gauge territory. You should be able to sort of eyeball it though to get an idea.

If it's to the left or to the right, the timing is wrong and needs to be checked. I ran into this problem with a Bernina and for the life of me I can't recall what the cause was but the take up lever was also a problem on that machine too.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 02-22-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Math problem. Correction in blue.