View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM
omaluvs2quilt

I was just watching video tutorials on this, but I'm thinking doing it the old fashioned way looks easier to me. I layer my fabrics after pressing and cut all layers at once with the rotary cutter so the squares are all ready to sew. I don't really mind cutting with the springloaded snips all that much, but I do like the uniformity of the accuquilted squares. I can chain piece vs stopping and starting and back tacking, and they don't seem to have the size die I'm looking for? I start with a 6.5" square with a 3/4" fringe to maximize amount of fabric used and since the finished squares are smaller, they don't seem to require the "X" sewn in the middle.

I took a break from traditional quilting during the holidays as we had a lot of remodeling done and I couldn't concentrate, so I started making rag quilts...now I'm addicted! On my first recent rag quilt I used the batting in the middle, not extending into the fringe, with cotton outsides. I hac a very difficult time keeping my sewing machine foot level with the batting being smaller and I wanted a little more fluff, so I started using flannel in the middle, cut to the same size as the square including fringe; cotton on outsides, and liked that much better. I'm now toying with the idea of one layer cotton on one layer of cute printed flannel to conserve fabric a little.