Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt rag die vs. rag snips >

Accuquilt rag die vs. rag snips

Accuquilt rag die vs. rag snips

Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
Looks like I am going to have to watch for the sale coupons at JoAnns!! You all have answered a question (again) that I have been tossing around in my head, if I could use an Accuquilt for cutting a rag quilt quilt. Thanks again for all of the knowledge you have and the questions you answer.
Since this was posted nine months ago, kathyjg has probably figured it out...The Accuquilt dies are excluded on the Joannes coupons. They do go on sale now and then. Usually only like 25%, but sometimes more on the big holidays.
I still like the Accuquilt though.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I put pre cut batting and both sides of the rag at the same time with my Go. I put a thin sheet of paper over the die before the fabric. Batting is cut to fit the squares not the fringe, so the blade never cuts the batting. The strands stay together when sewing and I use a twin needle so I have two rows of stitching next to the 'rag' edge.
Bellaboo what a great idea!! Why didn't i think of that. Probably gives a nice finished look
Max
Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I have always cut my squares with a rotary cutter. Had no issues.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't pick out the threads from the rag die. They will come out on their own while using. I too, cut my batting to fit the square not the snips. I use very thin batting or flannel.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I put pre cut batting and both sides of the rag at the same time with my Go. I put a thin sheet of paper over the die before the fabric. Batting is cut to fit the squares not the fringe, so the blade never cuts the batting. The strands stay together when sewing and I use a twin needle so I have two rows of stitching next to the 'rag' edge.
Twin needle - great idea 👍
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM

I was just watching video tutorials on this, but I'm thinking doing it the old fashioned way looks easier to me. I layer my fabrics after pressing and cut all layers at once with the rotary cutter so the squares are all ready to sew. I don't really mind cutting with the springloaded snips all that much, but I do like the uniformity of the accuquilted squares. I can chain piece vs stopping and starting and back tacking, and they don't seem to have the size die I'm looking for? I start with a 6.5" square with a 3/4" fringe to maximize amount of fabric used and since the finished squares are smaller, they don't seem to require the "X" sewn in the middle.

I took a break from traditional quilting during the holidays as we had a lot of remodeling done and I couldn't concentrate, so I started making rag quilts...now I'm addicted! On my first recent rag quilt I used the batting in the middle, not extending into the fringe, with cotton outsides. I hac a very difficult time keeping my sewing machine foot level with the batting being smaller and I wanted a little more fluff, so I started using flannel in the middle, cut to the same size as the square including fringe; cotton on outsides, and liked that much better. I'm now toying with the idea of one layer cotton on one layer of cute printed flannel to conserve fabric a little.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I was just watching video tutorials on this, but I'm thinking doing it the old fashioned way looks easier to me. I layer my fabrics after pressing and cut all layers at once with the rotary cutter so the squares are all ready to sew. I don't really mind cutting with the springloaded snips all that much, but I do like the uniformity of the accuquilted squares. I can chain piece vs stopping and starting and back tacking, and they don't seem to have the size die I'm looking for? I start with a 6.5" square with a 3/4" fringe to maximize amount of fabric used and since the finished squares are smaller, they don't seem to require the "X" sewn in the middle.

I took a break from traditional quilting during the holidays as we had a lot of remodeling done and I couldn't concentrate, so I started making rag quilts...now I'm addicted! On my first recent rag quilt I used the batting in the middle, not extending into the fringe, with cotton outsides. I hac a very difficult time keeping my sewing machine foot level with the batting being smaller and I wanted a little more fluff, so I started using flannel in the middle, cut to the same size as the square including fringe; cotton on outsides, and liked that much better. I'm now toying with the idea of one layer cotton on one layer of cute printed flannel to conserve fabric a little.
You might try using a blind hem foot where the batting edge makes a bump. I agree those darn rag quuilts are positively addictive!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

You could put a piece of painter's tape or removable tape down the row of snips to hold them in place while you sew.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
Looks like I am going to have to watch for the sale coupons at JoAnns!! You all have answered a question (again) that I have been tossing around in my head, if I could use an Accuquilt for cutting a rag quilt quilt. Thanks again for all of the knowledge you have and the questions you answer.
The coupons at JoAnns cannot be used for Accuquilt products. You should watch the Accuquilt site for sales.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 AM

I have to be cautious with my wrists - I'm a programmer so I do a lot of typing and I'm prone to tendon inflammation in my wrists if I overdo things. SO...I made ONE rag quilt with the snips and it made me completely miserable. My arm ached for weeks and I didn't even do a very thorough job snipping so it doesn't look that great. I used spring-loaded snips and everything.

I am working on a rag quilt that I've die-cut but I haven't gotten to the real sewing yet. My test pieces look good though; I think I'm going to like this method a LOT better. My wrists are already thanking me!