View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Cam's gram

I started quilting on the dining room table, then different house, children gone, the littlest bedroom. New house is a little over 2400 sq with a full basement. I have part of the family room setup for me. It’s a very large room, 32x36, so front half is furniture & tv. Back half, there is a small bar or kitchenette area with an island and my stuff. My long arm is across the back and in front of it is my sewing cabinet (over 6 ft long), and the cutting island. I can walk all the way around each of these. At the end of the long arm is a door to a storage room. DH built shelves in the front half for my material, etc. In the front of the family room, directly across from my sewing machine is my design wall so while I sew I can look at it, and I have lots of lights! DH grouted the tile in the bathroom on this level today so almost done. It is in the basement but I have a large window behind the longarm. DH built the house so it’s a wood basement with 9’ walls, 8” insulation. We have a subfloor so the flooring is not on the cement. With 9’ walls, after the subfloor and drop ceiling, the ceiling is still normal height. Also, because it’s a wood basement, ductwork is run down inside the walls to the floor like the main floor so the floor is warm. With a wood basement, there is no moisture or humidity issue. It is actually warmer than the main floor. We’ve had wood basements before and I think it is much more usable space than cement or block basements. I thought after sewing in the great room with huge windows looking into the woods, I wouldn’t like being downstairs. I love it!-probably because it’s mine, it works great for me and I waited quite a while for it (read years). DH comes down to talk and watch tv while I’m working on quilts. The funniest thing is our dog, (my avatar) does not like being down there even when we are both there. She comes down for a few minutes and then goes back upstairs!

Last edited by Cam's gram; 02-25-2015 at 02:58 PM.