View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 03:17 AM
NJ Quilter

I have a small room that doubles as a guest room, so not sure how much help I'll be for you. I also do not machine quilt so do not have a need for support behind my sewing machine.

I have my cutting table (one of the ones like JoAnn's sells that the sides fold down) in the center of my room. I also use this as my primary ironing surface - with old towels on the top. I have the cutting mat covering one end and towels on the other except when ironing large yardage. I can reach my cutting mat from 3 sides of the table. I also use this table for sandwiching quilts. My machine is set up in front of a window. Gives me more light as well as being able to look up/out periodically.

I have lots of other furniture in the small room as well, so this is about as good as it gets. I do have an old wooden 'tv tray' that I can set up next to my sewing machine when I am paper piecing or doing other fiddley things that I can set a small mat and another folded up towel to use as a cutting/ironing station without having to hop up every couple of seconds.