Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Help with room organization >

Help with room organization

Help with room organization

Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 PM

Default Help with room organization

I have a brand new sewing room. I am having trouble with the lay out a little bit. Anybody have a suggestions ? I did have the sewing machine up by the wall with the thimbles but moved it so I would have a place to lay the quilt while quilting. I can't wait to hear all the suggestions. The cats things should probably be moved . We inherited the 3 cats from my husbands uncle that recently passed away. And now that they are more acclimated I think I can move there stuff out of my room. They have full access to the upstairs and when the 4 dogs outside they come downstairs.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by quiltingfan; 02-28-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 PM

My sewing room keeps getting moved around and I have had it for 7 years years. At first I wanted to have my sewing machine so I could look out the window, but then it was too bright, so I moved my sewing machine so that it is perpendicular to the window and my embroidery machine next to the window. Even though I keep the shades drawn unless I am in the room. The majority of my fabric is wrapped on comic book boards, in bins and stored in the closet. My cutting table is also a full length mirror that folds up and out of the way, so if you can keep your cutting table out of the way except when you need it may be help you feel more open. I like to have my ironing board set up and I have the large board ironing board to put on top when I want to iron yards of fabric - also, some times I put my cutting mat on it when I am just cutting small pieces and don't need a lot of room.

You really need to see what you have and what fits your movements. Even though I am right handed for most of my working years I had a left handed desk and so most of my sewing area is set up is like my work was - it's what is comfortable to me. But as time goes by I move things around.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM

It's hard to tell how much space you have, but what a lot of us like to do is make a L-shape with the sewing desk on the long end of the L and the ironing board on the short end. Since most people stand up to cut long strips, you could put the cutting table a short distance away. I keep my long rulers on a pegboard near the cutting table, but the small ones (with a small rotating mat) at my ironing table for when I'm trimming blocks. (My ironing table doubles as a nightstand and has 2 shelves. I sit to iron and use a swivel office chair at my sewing machine.) It's okay to get up to walk to the cutting table or else I'd get stiff sitting for too long.

Your room will certainly evolve as you figure out what works and doesn't work.

Hope that's been a little bit helpful.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:17 AM

I have a small room that doubles as a guest room, so not sure how much help I'll be for you. I also do not machine quilt so do not have a need for support behind my sewing machine.

I have my cutting table (one of the ones like JoAnn's sells that the sides fold down) in the center of my room. I also use this as my primary ironing surface - with old towels on the top. I have the cutting mat covering one end and towels on the other except when ironing large yardage. I can reach my cutting mat from 3 sides of the table. I also use this table for sandwiching quilts. My machine is set up in front of a window. Gives me more light as well as being able to look up/out periodically.

I have lots of other furniture in the small room as well, so this is about as good as it gets. I do have an old wooden 'tv tray' that I can set up next to my sewing machine when I am paper piecing or doing other fiddley things that I can set a small mat and another folded up towel to use as a cutting/ironing station without having to hop up every couple of seconds.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, my husband came up with a good idea. My oldest moved out recently and her room has more natural light so going to switch rooms. Plus it looks over the street and not unto the neighbors roof. I am excited, I think it will be a better fit for me, plus will leave all the cats stuff in that room.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:28 AM

Try to arrange things so you have a view out of the window from the places that you spend the most time.

I don't have a sewing room, but I have large rooms with space for sewing nooks throughout the house. I've moved my sewing machine table to the master bedroom and the cutting table to the great room in front of very large picture windows. I love to look out into the woods beyond our backyard.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM

You did not say the measurements of the room. I really like the tiered shelving unit in the corner. I would attach some kind of system to hold your rulers, etc. to the sides, maybe just the length to the second shelf. Maybe put a board 1/2" or 3/4" thick across the top, attaching a pegboard piece or a piece of Plexiglas to both sides. Bring that down only to the second shelf but that will give you room for the pegs. Then you could hang all your rulers on it.
I would buy the plastic Darice Stackable Organizers which measure 14" x 14" x 3-1/4" high, and stack them with projects in on the other shelves. Measure the shelves before you buy so they fit right. I got mine at AC Moore and I love them. If you are working on a quilt, all the 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" blocks fit into it nicely. I just got them for 2/$10. I do not buy the ones for paper crafting by another company because they run about $16-19 a piece. They go on sale at least once a month.
From experience in working in offices, I never put my back to a door. So I would place your sewing desk towards the middle of the room with your back at the wall, or maybe put the bookcase behind you. That way you can reach things on it but it is not taking up other wall space. I would try to keep all the furniture the same color because the more unity in the room the better.
Try to keep the fabric on shelves in the closet to keep them clean and away from the light for fading. I ruler fold mine and stack per groups, i.e. greens, white, small prints, large prints, etc. If you have room, buy a few plastic drawer units with rollers on the bottom and place them at the bottom of the closet. I got mine at garage sales for $3 a piece. Use them for whatever, but I use them for fat quarters and scraps. That way you can roll them out if working on something special, or even take the drawer out.
I would get about 2 bookcases and use them for whatever you need, maybe your quilt books.
I notice you have a table in there, I would back that up to the other side of your sewing machine table. You could use it for cutting as well as sewing on a large quilt. If you can find another chest, I would make an ironing board for the top. Get a board the size of the top, cover it in several layers of flannel or use an old flannel sheet, and then a cotton top. Staple it down and then place it on the top of the chest. Storage in the chest.
I would try to get task lighting for the room, or switch the ceiling light out for a long tube light. I hate overhead lights because I get headaches from them but they get you into the room.
I have studied a lot of what I want because we will be putting our house up for sale and I know what sewing room I want in the new place. My sewing room right now is about 10' x 8' but I have all white furniture and shelving with an "L" shaped sewing surface. I bought the white photo boxes at Michaels, or AC Moores and I use them for zippers, etc. and put the name in the little slot. It really looks nice. I have collected the wicker picnic baskets over the years and have projects in them on top of my bookcases. My next room better be a big one, just for me, or else my name does not go on the dotted line. haha Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I would do this. Draw your room to scale on a large piece of paper. For every foot, draw 1'. This will give you the dimensions of your room. Take some cardboard from a cereal box and cut out your furniture using the same scale. Then move your scaled down furniture around the drawing of your room. Lot easier than moving the furniture numerous times. I would find a small table to use in back of you DSM and have your cutting table on your left.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 03-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will post pics after I switch rooms! Yea more light
Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 AM

Like Quiltingcandy my room gets rearranged a lot. I'm lucky to have a huge walk in closet for all my fabrics and battings. But I have put wheels on just about every thing I can to make the seasonal moving easier.