Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM
ProudGranny5

I am a self taught quilter. I decided to make my oldest granddaughter a quilt. It took me over 85 hours to make this quilt as I hand cut all her letters out for her name and sewed them. My husband drew me a moon for his part in the quilt. I traced my granddaughter's little hands as well.
There is a story behind this quilt. Maggie always loved the moon and said it was 'her moon' and she would say she loved you more than the moon and stars and whole wide world. So with that ... I put her quilt together.
As you can see, there is a big star and 2 smaller stars on one side. That is Maggie and her little twin sisters. The 2 stars by the moon are her 2 older step sisters. The 2005 was hand sewn as was the year she was born and on the other side I put 'Love Mamaw' with a heart.
Long story short ... I found out past Thanksgiving Day, that the quilt was burnt as it had been torn and 'messed up' as Maggie said. Her older step-sister threw it in a fire. She was so sad.
Needless to say...I was heart broken but held back my tears. I told Maggie that I would make her a new quilt and she could pick out the colors. Then the smile came on her face. I even told her that I still had her handprints to put back on the quilt. This new quilt...when I get it started will go to her daddy's house where it will be taken care of for sure.
I still have 4 more to make for my other 2 sets of twins.
Just a reminder to all you quilters...when you make a quilt 'out of love' for someone... you can't always expect it to be taken care of. Thanks for listening
ProudGranny5
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64775.jpe