View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
zozee

Default Bootsanighee (Minecraft Creeper quilt)

In November I started the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, but when I saw the reveal (long before my pieces were all cut out) I had the green/neutral/black units finished.

They reminded me of the Minecraft Creeper (a video game character who destroys in seconds what it takes players--usually kids ages 6-13) to build in their mines. I needed to make a boy quilt for a certain charity, and so I began.

On January 19th there was a mansion in Annapolis, Maryland ,about an hour south of me, that caught fire and burnt to the ground. The grandparents Don and Sandy Pyle, and four of their young grandchildren perished in the blaze.

Two of the kids (brother and sister) Wes & Charlotte, were remembered in their obituaries as having loved to play Minecraft. I sewed as I listened to updates on the investigation. It took days and days to locate all the bodies. A faulty electrical wire had caught fire and burnt the tree and everything in its path. Everyone died of smoke inhalation.

I had no words for my shock, fear, grief at what had happened. When my son was 2, he wasn't talking but one day was utterly frustrated that I couldn't figure out what he wanted. He yelled "Bootsanighee!" I still didn't get it, but the phrase has stuck in our home for when we just don't understand someone or a situation or the way things are in the world. When there are no words, only confusion and maybe heartache.

That's how I felt while trying to piece together my quilt as the investigators tried to piece together the mystery of the mansion fire.

RIP, Wes & Charlotte, as you play in your heavenly mansion that can never be destroyed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512237[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2948.jpg   img_2950.jpg