Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bootsanighee (Minecraft Creeper quilt)

Bootsanighee (Minecraft Creeper quilt)

In November I started the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, but when I saw the reveal (long before my pieces were all cut out) I had the green/neutral/black units finished.

They reminded me of the Minecraft Creeper (a video game character who destroys in seconds what it takes players--usually kids ages 6-13) to build in their mines. I needed to make a boy quilt for a certain charity, and so I began.

On January 19th there was a mansion in Annapolis, Maryland ,about an hour south of me, that caught fire and burnt to the ground. The grandparents Don and Sandy Pyle, and four of their young grandchildren perished in the blaze.

Two of the kids (brother and sister) Wes & Charlotte, were remembered in their obituaries as having loved to play Minecraft. I sewed as I listened to updates on the investigation. It took days and days to locate all the bodies. A faulty electrical wire had caught fire and burnt the tree and everything in its path. Everyone died of smoke inhalation.

I had no words for my shock, fear, grief at what had happened. When my son was 2, he wasn't talking but one day was utterly frustrated that I couldn't figure out what he wanted. He yelled "Bootsanighee!" I still didn't get it, but the phrase has stuck in our home for when we just don't understand someone or a situation or the way things are in the world. When there are no words, only confusion and maybe heartache.

That's how I felt while trying to piece together my quilt as the investigators tried to piece together the mystery of the mansion fire.

RIP, Wes & Charlotte, as you play in your heavenly mansion that can never be destroyed.

Name:  IMG_2948.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  IMG_2950.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  1.77 MB

Beautiful quilt ~ sad story.

Blog Entries
    What a tragic story. Fire! It is illusive and difficult to detect while sleeping. So, so sad. Your private memorial quilt is so well done, bright and filled with sorrow and love. Great job!

What a sad story. You did a great job.

I remember following that story as well. Yes, tragic and terribly sad. Your quilt is great and will certainly be enjoyed by it's recipient.

Thank you so much for the idea. I have thought of a Minecraft quilt but didn't make the connection to use the green/white sashings from the BH Mystery. I finished the Mystery but didn't use those. I was wondering what I would make. Minecraft quilt is perfect!

Sad story...good quilt...
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Agree sad story but a great quilt.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto to what has been said. You did good. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Power Poster
    Very nice quilt, but such a tragic story.

Not familiar with mine craft but the quilt is cool

Power Poster
    Nice quilt. Such a sad story. I hear a lot about it and feel so sorry for them. may they all rest in peace in the arms of God's angels.