Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
MistyMarie

I guess my husband and I are pretty protective of her because she has had some close calls with her lungs. She spent a lot of time in the hospital with breathing problems and lung infections. We almost lost her when she was a month old and again when she was two.

My sister stopped breathing and her heart stopped when she was five. My mom called the neighbor (who had been a medic in Vietnam) and he was able to get her breathing again before the ambulance arrived. Then, it happened again when they were flying her out of the small mountain town we lived in. The doctors, after twelve days in the hospital, could not figure out why her heart stopped twice. After that experience, my mom was almost paranoid about the smallest health issues with my sister.

I think that we don't want to ever feel like something we did or didn't do would cause her to have more health problems. We know teachers are human (especially since I am one) and therefore make mistakes. As long as they are willing to listen and understand where we are coming from and then make the effort to meet our reasonable requests, then I am able to overlook a lapse in judgment.