View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 11:57 AM
asabrinao

Default Janome MyStyle 100 or Juki HZL 27z

Hi, Friends,

I've been in the market for a lightweight machine for awhile. There have been several posts on this board from folks who also needed advice on lightweight machines and reading through those posts was very helpful in getting me through the initial search stage.

What I want is a lightweight machine, electrical OR mechanical, with no bells and whistles and a minimum number of stitches. Quiet is also nice, but that's sort of relative. I would also like to spend less than $300. Currently, I have two Juki machines that I really love (TL-2010 and F400) and this machine will be my travel machine--my fiancé currently lives in another state and my parents, whom I visit a lot, live six hours away. I'm also going to my first quilting retreat in May and hope to go to more in the future. So, this will really not be my main machine.
I tried a Janome MyStyle 100 at a local shop, which they will sell to me for $249 (the machine goes for $349 but I'm doing a trade). I test drove the machine with my own swatches and quite liked it, but I would love to hear from other folks who have owned or have had experience with the Janome MyStyle.

Here's another thought: I love my two Juki's and going to their lightweight model was my first thought. The only local Juki dealer in my area does not have any Juki HZL-27z machines (the Juki lightweight) in stock and just sold her floor model. She won't get any in stock for another month. I always try before I buy and I'm also in no rush--but if anyone has any experience or thoughts about the Juki HZL-27z, I would love to hear them. I did try the HZL-27z more than a year ago and I have this memory that it vibrated a lot, but I honestly don't really remember.

At the store today, I tried a used Babylock Audrey for $399, which is over my budget and the price is fixed, even with a trade. If I had fallen in love with it, I would have considered the extra hundred bucks, but I didn't and it's really more than what I need.

I've looked around for Singer Featherweights, but the ones I can find in my budget don't have all the parts and may need some work. A featherweight is on my sewing machine "bucket" list, but perhaps not right now. I also tried a used Janome Jem Gold, which so many people on this site seem to love. They had a used one on the floor for $150, but...well...I just didn't like it that much.

So, I'm seriously considering the Janome MyStyle and would love to hear thoughts. Also, if anyone own a Juki lightweight model, I'd love to hear from you too!

Thanks for everything--I have always appreciated how wonderfully helpful you all are on this site.

Best,
A