Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome MyStyle 100 or Juki HZL 27z >

Janome MyStyle 100 or Juki HZL 27z

Janome MyStyle 100 or Juki HZL 27z

Old 03-21-2015, 11:57 AM

Default Janome MyStyle 100 or Juki HZL 27z

Hi, Friends,

I've been in the market for a lightweight machine for awhile. There have been several posts on this board from folks who also needed advice on lightweight machines and reading through those posts was very helpful in getting me through the initial search stage.

What I want is a lightweight machine, electrical OR mechanical, with no bells and whistles and a minimum number of stitches. Quiet is also nice, but that's sort of relative. I would also like to spend less than $300. Currently, I have two Juki machines that I really love (TL-2010 and F400) and this machine will be my travel machine--my fiancé currently lives in another state and my parents, whom I visit a lot, live six hours away. I'm also going to my first quilting retreat in May and hope to go to more in the future. So, this will really not be my main machine.
I tried a Janome MyStyle 100 at a local shop, which they will sell to me for $249 (the machine goes for $349 but I'm doing a trade). I test drove the machine with my own swatches and quite liked it, but I would love to hear from other folks who have owned or have had experience with the Janome MyStyle.

Here's another thought: I love my two Juki's and going to their lightweight model was my first thought. The only local Juki dealer in my area does not have any Juki HZL-27z machines (the Juki lightweight) in stock and just sold her floor model. She won't get any in stock for another month. I always try before I buy and I'm also in no rush--but if anyone has any experience or thoughts about the Juki HZL-27z, I would love to hear them. I did try the HZL-27z more than a year ago and I have this memory that it vibrated a lot, but I honestly don't really remember.

At the store today, I tried a used Babylock Audrey for $399, which is over my budget and the price is fixed, even with a trade. If I had fallen in love with it, I would have considered the extra hundred bucks, but I didn't and it's really more than what I need.

I've looked around for Singer Featherweights, but the ones I can find in my budget don't have all the parts and may need some work. A featherweight is on my sewing machine "bucket" list, but perhaps not right now. I also tried a used Janome Jem Gold, which so many people on this site seem to love. They had a used one on the floor for $150, but...well...I just didn't like it that much.

So, I'm seriously considering the Janome MyStyle and would love to hear thoughts. Also, if anyone own a Juki lightweight model, I'd love to hear from you too!

Thanks for everything--I have always appreciated how wonderfully helpful you all are on this site.

Best,
A
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

I have the Juki 27. It doesn't vibrate, sews a good stitch actually. The one thing I don't like about it is it's noisy. It's loud enough to bother me, but I'm used to my vintage Singers and Brothers that are very quiet.
It also doesn't come with any extra feet, or at least it didn't two years ago when I got mine. It also doesn't have a carry handle on the top, it has a hand hold at the back that makes it not comfortable to carry. Other than these two things that bug me about it, it's a decent low end machine. And it's so cute.

Cari
Old 03-21-2015, 06:27 PM

I would try both. I know the juki's tend to be better with thick items than the janomes from what I have read from people that have both but that was on their high end models. Juki's motors tend to be stronger. I am a true brother girl but if I had to go for another brand it would most likely be juki before anything else
Old 03-22-2015, 04:07 AM

I recently bought the MyStyle after testing a dozen or so low-end models and this one just felt more solid and was the quietest of those I tested. I was looking for mechanical and basic just for a spare/travel/classes machine. I liked that it supposedly has some metal parts to it and supposedly has a metal frame (i take this with a grain) and did feel a little more robust than most others at the price point. The size is perfect...not too small (the jems can feel small at times) and not too big. Handle really is a nice feature for a machine meant to go places. Was somewhat interest in the Magnolia 7318 but the dealer steered me to the MyStyle..saying it had a slightly slower speed but was made better...only the shadow knows on that, but I've been very happy with it and love its simpliciity and looks too ..esp the size. It seems to be well-powered and the straight-stitch is perfect. Best way to know is the test-drive. I have other machines for dec stitches, buttonholes, etc. Have never used the Juki but you can find reviews doing a search. There aren't many on the MyStyle but those that are out there have all been very positive.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:05 PM

Thanks, all! I went ahead and got the Janome MyStyle! I'm really excited! I agree with you, mea--it really does have a solid feel to it. I'm about to post a new thread on this, but I'm wondering what you paid for yours? I paid $249 for a new one....
Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM

I have many Singer 301s. They weigh about 16 pounds, a little more than a Featherweight and made in the 50s. They are much cheaper but have that beautiful stitch too. You can drop the feed dogs and FMQ. I would rather use a 301 for piecing than any of my other more expensive machines....not fussy about thread either. Look on Craigslist and Ebay.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:08 PM

It had the same $249 price but i got mine for a bit less bc I've bought from the dealer before. They are $249 at almost every site online. It was all about "feel" for me too. I did look up the juki you were interested in and it definitely has more features for less cost. There are 70 reviews for it on Amazon and most liked it but there were also quite a few who didn't. To me that makes it a bit like a coin toss especially when buying sight unseen. Congrats on the MyStyle!! I hope you like it as much as I like mine.