View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

When we were blessed with our first grand child, our darling Zoe, my DIL's Mom got to pick names first, so she is Grandma and her Dad is Poppa. My DH is Grandpa, but what was I to be called? When I first moved away from home, I had to be hospitalized with subsequent surgery. I quickly became friends with this adorable older lady, who was already in her late 70's. Since both sets of grandparents passed away before I was born, we adopted each other and she became "Grams", the grandmother I never had. My sister, who passed away just a few years ago was always called MiMi after a nephew could not say "Mary Ann", and the name stuck. Now the dilemma - as my DIL wasn't crazy about Grams, but liked "MiMi", so I became Grandma MiMi. At first I was hesitant because my sister was always MiMi, but when I dreamt about my sister, she gave her OK for me to be called MiMi/Grandma MiMi. Yes, I know, a little odd, but being part Irish I believe in dreams, especially since Mary Ann and I were very close as the only daughters out of 7 children. I hope this might help, at least you have a couple other options to consider, or maybe your DGD will come up with her own special name for you.