Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: other names for grandma

other names for grandma

I will be a first time grandmother in July! I'm trying to decide on my title to be called.

Sadly, my daughter's husband's mother is already called Grandma (gramma) by her 3 other grandchildren.
    I want to be identifiable by another name.

I called my own grandmothers, big grandma & little grandma, not flattering as it should've been tall & short. My cousin hates being called Grandma San Diego. My kids called my own mom plain,with honor, Grandma, since she was the real hands on and fun one. My husband's mom was Grandma Charlotte because they rarely saw her and she never changed a diaper or fed them, mostly she just watched them as interesting. I thought of GrandmaC (my name is Cathy) but the other one is Cheri, too close & same initial. My daughter doesn't want Nana or anything that's too different from Grandma.

I thought of SewGrandma, but that's probably kind of corny. However, I should ask my daughter about that one since it's kind of an honor if you think "SooooGrandma"!

So far the winner idea is Grandmom since my husband wants Grandad. I realize that Grandmom will actually sound like grandma by a toddler but maybe it could be Granmomma until older boyhood when he can actually say it right. Regardless if the momma ending is used or not, I will at least have a different signature.

What do you think of SewGrandma and Grandmom?
    I don't dance with wolves; I quilt with dogs!
    Cathy

My DIL will be called Grammy with her first grandchild. Since, I am great garland, I wonder what I will be called.

Blog Entries
    My son called me MIMI and my mom MOMA
    when he was about 3 1/2 it finally came thru as Mommy and Grandma, he just couldn't pronounce it.
    We always call aunts and uncles ''aunt Deb", why not grandma Cathy.

Some fall back to their nationality, nona, gemma,tia, ect. how about that why not grammy or grannie(that sounds like you need a rocking chair). Let us know what you pick.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

My daughter's children call me Nonni and my son's daughters call me Nonna.

my grandmothers were as different as night and day, we called them Grandma last name and Grandma last name They were loved equally. mine call me Mimi, my mother was Memaw. my other mother is Maudi Mae. lots to choose from

My dil's mom is grammy as their earlier grand child called her that and she wanted to keep her title with my ds & ddil; so I opted for grandma plain and simple. However when my kids were little I felt grandma with the last name seemed too formal(what we as children called our grandmas & grandpas) so I had them call them grandma and their first names. Neither lived close though so they didn't have a lot of interaction.

Blog Entries
    Nana. That's me and I love it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Mine call me Nammie -- my first couldn't make the GR sound.

I am "Nanny" to my seven Gkids. It was the name for my Nanny, so my first to have
    a child had him call me Nanny and it has been that way since. I love it.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Since your daughter will likely be called Mommy, you could be Grandmommy.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I'm going to be a first time grandma in Sept, I think I would like to be called Nonna (I believe it's Itailan ) as my name is Norma, however sometimes little people have their own ideas. My son would only ever call my dad Bobby (which is his name) his other grandpa was papa, when he was old enough we asked him why he never called my dad grandpa or papa and he said because he's Bobby and he's not old enough to be a grandpa( my dad was 55 at the time).

My grandkids call me Neena. No way was I gonna be called gramma. I'm still feeling too young for that, LOL!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

My grandsons call me Grandma Jenny. My granddaughter calls me Nano.
    keep a sewen!

My friend has numerous grands and great grands. They all call her nannie. We only have one grand and he calls us Grandma Karen and Grandpa Jim. For his other grandma it is Nana. He called his other grandfather, Pop until his recent death. By the way he died at 11:34 pm on January 31st. Social Security had to have the whole month's check back. Our government screwed up... again...

I'm a Granna.

Grams or Nana

My DH family has so many nicknames for the grandmas. Mimi is what all the grandkids call his mom. He called both of his grandmothers Bing. Apparently the oldest sibling started it. He couldn't pronounce grandma but how he came up with Bing is beyond me. Eons ago my boss was Dutch and when he brought his mother over to visit, everyone called her Oma. For the longest time I thought that was actually her name. It wasn't until much later I learned it was dutch for grandma. I always liked Oma both the person and the term.

Blog Entries
    my grands call me Nana
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Here in the south, Maw Maw is used ALOT!
    In my quilt lab!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
    Here in the south, Maw Maw is used ALOT!
    That's what my Grandmothers were to me, don't know where it started. I've been Nana from the start with DGS. I do know that children will sometimes decide for themselves. We had a pretty big surprise when DGS came up with his name for grandpa. We had a schnauzer that was his watchdog and buddy from the beginning. His name was Puder Tute(my version of Powder Horn in German..right or wrong!). We could not get DGS to say grandpa at first, but DD called one day to say he was trying to tell them about grandpa and he finally came out with "Poopa"! All we can figure out is that he took the sounds of Puder and grandpa and combined them! Sorry for the long tale.

My intention was to have my GK call me Gramma Nan. My DS kids call me Gramma Last name and I don't like it. They call their other grandma...grandma. My DD's little girl will be two in a couple of months and she calls me Mae-Mae. I love it.
    Last edited by GrammaNan; 03-27-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Blog Entries
    Me-maw hows that one?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Two of my grandchildren used to refer to us as Grandma and Grandpa Far because we live what they call "a longgg ways away." Their other grandparents live in town. I like being called Grandma Linda.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

We are called Granddad and Grandma with the kittens. We have cats.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast