Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: other names for grandma

Is grandmamma too much of a mouthful for little ones to handle?

The Swedes have an interesting take on this as they have different words for grandma and grandpa depending on whether they are the maternal grandparents or the paternal ones. Perhaps you could adopt that sort of aproach?

I've always known that when I was a grandmother I would want to be Granny. I became a grandmother aged 49 and was Granny from day one. I love being called Granny and it's never made me feel old(er) than I actually am.

My grand kids call me Grandma Fran and also Grandma. My middle son's children their othe Grandmother TuTu.

My mom is known as Granny to her grandchildren; my dad is Papa. My sister's are Nana and MeMaw to their grandchildren. My brother is Grandpa Rich (his first name; not because of money, although his little granddaughter has him wrapped around her little finger!). I think I want to be plain old Grandma if/when I'm a grandma, just like my own grandmother's (we identified the grandma by also using her last name).
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I am Grandma. My ex's wife is Grammy, which I like. They also have a Nana, which is way down my list. I think SewGrandma is a mouthful for a little one to learn and I bet they will adopt their own shortened form of it. My son-in-law told me almost 18 years ago, ultimately the child will call you what they want to call you.

My sister in law's grandchildren call her honey. I love that.

"Glamma", a glamorous grandma. You can google other selections.

SewGrandma sounds cute but may be too many syllables for a toddler to pronounce. I like Grandmom.

Here are names to ponder that I have heard but are different from Grandma: Gi-Gi, Mum(British,as in Queen Mum), Mia (as in Mum a Mia)!
    Good luck and congrats

When my first DGD was born, I decided to be Nana. SIL's mother already had 2 grandsons and was Grandma to them--because HER mother was Nan to everyone. I found it interesting that we both wanted to be different from the other, and worked it out without even consulting each other. Neither of us wanted the "Grandma-first or last name". As to my DH and SIL's father, the girls always know which one they are talking about--Nana's Grandpa or Grandma's Grandpa. The littlest DGD used to call my DH 'Bumpa" which he loved, but she finally learned to say her 'g's'
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

When my oldest granddaughter was born, my husband would point to himself and say, "Papa, Papa....." to my granddaughter. Then he would point at me and ask, "Who is that?" For many years, my granddaughter called me 'That"! It has become a great family memory. I recently had to pack a sack lunch for myself for a quilting class, she laughingly wrote 'That' on my sack.

Mine call me Grandmommy. My daughter goes by Nana.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    My granddaughter calls me Granny and her other Grandmother is call Oma, it's German for Grandmother.

At first I was Grandma, and then I figured I could combine part of my name with Gram and came up with Gramsy--Grandma Sybil. I was happy with my solution and it's my personal very own granny title. Play around with some and see what feels right to you. And you never know, your grandchild may come up with their very own version of Grandma, Granny or Grams while they're learning to talk and it might stick! Enjoy the new you when you become a grandma, it's a wonderful experience!!

Long ago before I ever had any grandchildren I heard a sweet little voice call her Mema and decided then and there that's how I want to be called, and now I am.

I started out Nana and my grandson changed it to Nena . So now all the grand kids call me Nena even adults. My GGkids call me grand mother. There are grammy.. granny, Maw Maw ( a WV thing) grams. grandmom, Mimi, mammaw. grandmaw. Have fun choosing.

Blog Entries
    I like being called Grandma and my grandson calls me Grandma Brenda. No confusion, we all know who I am.

When I met my now husband, his grandkids called me by my first name and that stuck with the older kids (15, 16, 12) after we were married, when his youngest daughter had her second child...she lives in California and we live in Illinois, we went to CA to take care of her 18 month old son for 6 weeks when she had a C-second with her second child. When we arrived each day, I would come in and say "Good Morning". The 18 month old somehow figured that must be my name, so I became "Morning" and that is what both kids call me. There other grandma is called Grandmoo.
    Pat

My grandchildren all called me Gramma, then when the 7th one came along he named us Nana & Papa, he would not say Gramma & Grampa, then when the 8th & ninth came along they also called us Nana & Papa because they were close to the 7th. So I say, let the grandchild name you, so to speak, pick a name, but don't be surprised if the grand baby changes it. We love Nana & Papa!
    Linda58

"A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs." --Mark Twain

MY 1st grand daughter changed my name from GRAMMY to NANA because she heard everyone call me Donna.I just love the name...NANA

I think it will come down to what the baby calls you, my oldest grandchild decided to call me DeeDee. Why?? Who knows!! LOL but it stuck, all the grands call me DeeDee! Thanks Corey LOL, my name is truly Jane!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
    Here in the south, Maw Maw is used ALOT!

I'm meemaw but spelled differently: Mema. It started as a joke by my coworker but somehow stuck and the first time my first born grandson said it, my heart melted and I knew I was "Mema"! My mother was Granny to my children. I called my paternal grandmother "Grandmother" -- very formal -- but my cousin called her "Nana". I don't remember my name for my other grandmother, who died when I was very small, but think she was just "Grandma."

I have a friend who is "ghee" to her grandchildren. The oldest one just started calling her that; no one knows why. She loves it! For young modern grandmothers, I do think Mimi is nice. Avoid anything too long because little ones can't handle it and will shorten it anyway.

DJ
    I haven't read all the responses and don't know if you've come up with something, but here's my story.

I suspected that my DGD would most likely be calling the other grandmother "Grandma" since she lived much closer. But she wouldn't make the "G" sound, so she would say "Mommy" for her mother and "Mama" for her other grandmother, and wouldn't call me anything. So we finally got her to say "Mimi" and that became my name. I did not want her to use my first name "Grandma Diane". When we finally settled on "Mimi" it was apparent that she was as pleased as I was that she had a name for me!

What nationality are you? Is there a term for Grandma in a different language that you like? My other DD married a German, so I'm sure the other grandmother (when they have children) will have the German term (whatever that is). I'd like to stick with Mimi, so all the grandchildren call me the same thing.

Congratulations BTW!

Cathy, so happy for you a new baby is always wonderful. When my DGD was born, she had 2 grandmothers and 2 great grandmothers. My SIL's mother was Grandma, his grandmother was Great Grandma. So my mother became GG for great grandma and I became Bubbie (yiddish for grandma). I am almost 20 years younger than my SIL's parents, so I was in my 40's when my DGD was born. I wanted to be called "The Young Fun Grandma", but my DD the killjoy wouldn't let that happen - lol. When my DGD started talking she changed some of the names, my mother when from being GG to being Grandma Woof (she had dogs that would bark when the phone would ring - and DGD loved to hear the dogs).
    YaYa is Greek for grandma, just a thought.

My grandson shortened the Mamaw to Ma. LOL. I'm Ma now. I feel like I'm on Litttle House on the Prairie.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast