Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: other names for grandma

What does it really matter, if they love you the name isn't all that important. Kids will find their own term of love for you.

My mother wanted to be Grammie & was called that by the older 2 grandchildren. The 3rd - the "baby" couldn't say Grammie & somehow the name progressed to "Gumball"... She was Gumball to all... A co-worker is Nana & her husband is Puddin....So far I'm Nana..

It has been my experience that your grandchildren will come up with whatever they want to call you. It may be what you had in mind or it may be something they come up with like Goppa or BoBo. Whatever they choose to call you will be precious and right in their minds.
    Grandma Alice from Iowa

Blog Entries
    Because of Downton Abbey, Granny has suddenly become very popular and trendy. I was Granny before Downton but I can't take credit as a trendsetter. My late MIL; adored by her seven grandsons and me, her only DIL; was the loveliest soul I ever knew and she was Granny. When my son asked what I wanted to be called, of course I said Granny. You should have seen his smile. SO I am the lucky Granny to two adorable munchkins but Grandma Holli to my second DH's grandson whom I adore equally.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    *** I am "GRAND".
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    I always loved what my sister's grandkids called her "ME" She would tell them to "come and see me" and they thought it was her name and it struck.

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    My grandmother was Nanny. Best grandmother EVER. I decided to go with Nana. And I love being a Nana to my granddaughter.

Power Poster
    When we were blessed with our first grand child, our darling Zoe, my DIL's Mom got to pick names first, so she is Grandma and her Dad is Poppa. My DH is Grandpa, but what was I to be called? When I first moved away from home, I had to be hospitalized with subsequent surgery. I quickly became friends with this adorable older lady, who was already in her late 70's. Since both sets of grandparents passed away before I was born, we adopted each other and she became "Grams", the grandmother I never had. My sister, who passed away just a few years ago was always called MiMi after a nephew could not say "Mary Ann", and the name stuck. Now the dilemma - as my DIL wasn't crazy about Grams, but liked "MiMi", so I became Grandma MiMi. At first I was hesitant because my sister was always MiMi, but when I dreamt about my sister, she gave her OK for me to be called MiMi/Grandma MiMi. Yes, I know, a little odd, but being part Irish I believe in dreams, especially since Mary Ann and I were very close as the only daughters out of 7 children. I hope this might help, at least you have a couple other options to consider, or maybe your DGD will come up with her own special name for you.

I'm called Grandmommy by my two IL grandchildren and grandma by my four AR grandsons.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Blog Entries
    I always wanted to be Oma and my husband Opa (German for Grandma and Grandpa), but daughter in law got dibs on it before us, so we are Grandma and my husband was Grandpa. Oma and Opa sounds so warm. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

My mom wanted to be called grandma, and she got her way (she always does)! I'm waiting on grandchildren, so I'll just be happy when they're at least on their way, don't really care what they call me! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

When my grandchildren were young, I was Gam. Now they call me Grandma when they are with me. I believe they call their other grandmother Grandma too. When they talk about us elsewhere, they attach our first names to Grandma so people know which one they are talking about. This was their solution.
    Last edited by Cam's gram; 03-29-2015 at 12:25 PM.

When we were children we called our grandparents Grandma Smith and Grandma Jones. When my sister moved out west, her mother-in-law was living nearby. So she went by Grandma Eileen and the Great Grandma went by Grandma Ellie. When I had Grandchildren, I wanted to be called Grandma Mavis. My children had a problem with that at first, but I always signed my cards Grandma Mavis, so it caught on.
    Using your first name helps the children keep the grandparents straight when they talk about past generations.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I wanted to be called Grammy, but my first grandbaby cut it to MeMe. So that's what I am. Love the grandbabies!!!

My grandson is still too young to talk but I refer to myself in talking to him as Grannie. I hope he picks up on it although my DS and DIL refer to me as Grandma

I have 12 gkids most call me grama or grama Mary..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    When we were children we called our grandparents Grandma Smith and Grandma Jones. When my sister moved out west, her mother-in-law was living nearby. So she went by Grandma Eileen and the Great Grandma went by Grandma Ellie. When I had Grandchildren, I wanted to be called Grandma Mavis. My children had a problem with that at first, but I always signed my cards Grandma Mavis, so it caught on.
    Using your first name helps the children keep the grandparents straight when they talk about past generations.
    So true, so true - I had Grandpa Frank from Wisconsin - and Grandpa Ole, my Swedish Grandpa from Michigan after he arrived in the U.S. My grandbabies are in high school now -- treasure them whatever they call you.. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I am Grammie and my husband is Opa! Our grandkids can easily differentiate us from the other grandparents.

Since my last name is Jacobson I am called Grandma Jake. I know my niece did not want to be call grandma so she is 'miss Linda' other are called grandma (and then their first name)
    I had an uncle Charles that married a Martha - but there were other Marthas in the family so she became Martha Charles.

granddaughter decided mine would be gege and husband is Mr man chicky and its stuck through them all

My mother was Nana, something she requested, my sister is Mom-Mom, I was a first time grandmother in July 2013, I am called Grandmom, and I'm going to be a grandmother again this July

Mimi, Nana, or as a friend once did..."Mum". She said if it was good enough for the queen of England, it was good enough for her! I will be a first time Grandmother any day and I keep telling my daughter the baby will call me Goddess. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    My DH family has so many nicknames for the grandmas. Mimi is what all the grandkids call his mom. He called both of his grandmothers Bing. Apparently the oldest sibling started it. He couldn't pronounce grandma but how he came up with Bing is beyond me. Eons ago my boss was Dutch and when he brought his mother over to visit, everyone called her Oma. For the longest time I thought that was actually her name. It wasn't until much later I learned it was dutch for grandma. I always liked Oma both the person and the term.
    Germans also use Oma and Opa.

Didn't take time to read all the posts so this may be a repeat, but friends of mine called their grandmother named Kathrine, "Kakie". I thought that was kind of cute. Thought that might work for Cathy also. My grands call me Ma'amMaw, since one set already had a MomMaw and the others already had a MeMaw. I kind of wanted Nana, but they said I wasn't a Nana.
    Thimble and Thread

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I get called Gran, Grandma, Gma, Gamma T, different by each one. I told one of the DGDs as long as you call me, I'll be happy to answer, "Yes, Sweetheart". Most times it's Hi, Grandma. I'm good no matter what. If they're in a room with another grandmother, and mention me, they say Gamma T. congratulation on your future title. Life is "GRAND"!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast