Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: other names for grandma

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My girlfriend is also German and is called Oma and DH is Opa.
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenSimon View Post
    Germans also use Oma and Opa.

23 years ago I was thinking all the same things - I was only 35 when he was born and thought I was much to young to be called Grandma - I sat at the hospital while my DIL was in labor and thought of all the names I could be called, but when I first laid eyes on him I would not have cared if he would want to call me Mudpie I would answer and be happy. I now have 15 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren - they call me what they want - the older ones call me Grandma and the rest call me Ninnie'

Blog Entries
    It's easy in my case because my DIL is Hispanic. So her mother is "Abuela" and I am "Grandma"!! Easy peasy.
    Karen

My mil was Nani to my children ( Sicilian), and I became Nani to my dgds, DH was grumpa.....story is, he was crabby one day when youngest grand was over and I laughingly called him grumpa that day and it stuck! Now there are 3 gg and I am Nani to all.........sadly grumpa is no longer with us.........and I guess Nani will no longer be after I am gone too.........

I love being called Grannie

Blog Entries
    I am Abuela.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I wanted to be Granny but my mother was called that so I ended up being called Nana. I have a friend who is Nona. I called my grandmothers Grandma & Mama.
    TwandasMom

always loved Abuela We like GG, MomMom, Me Maw, and Mummum
    Last edited by beauty844; 03-30-2015 at 06:21 PM.

WOW! Thank you all for such interesting answers!
    I have a grandmother name now! I realize, as a few of you said, that a child may give a name, but I have to start with something to tell the baby and sign cards & gifts. I decided to go with a short name; Granny! He may say Ganny until the r is conquered, but he'll be unaware of it and will eventually say Granny. My girls didn't pronounce GrandmaCharlotte for awhile until all of a sudden they did. He can shorten it to Gran when he's older. Anyway, I'm so excited to be Granny! I think it sounds like a happy person!
    I don't dance with wolves; I quilt with dogs!
    Cathy

My grandchildren referred to their paternal grandmother as the cleaning grandma[she was obsesive] I don't know where that left me LOL Diane C

I am Nama to all my grands.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

My mom goes by Oma, and my Dad, for the short year he lived after my nephew was born, was Opa. It's easy for the kids to say and spell.

"Blue" is my family nickname, so my niece and nephew were taught to call me "Auntie Blue". But when they were little they couldn't quite pronounce it, so I became "Annie Boo". I LOVED that name so much, but unfortunately it didn't stick. Now I'm "Auntie Blue" with my niece, but my nephew (who is about to turn 14) has just recently started calling me just plain "Blue" because it's not manly to say the "auntie" part and (as he informed me recently) he's "pretty much a man now".

Just typing that out right now gave me such a rush of affection, I love those kids so much, they can call me whatever they want! LOL

my first granddaughter 40 years ago picked up a little basket and looked back at me and said bye bye nanny. So I was nanny and my husband was Poppy. Now I have 8 GG's and they call me Bignan. No matter what they call you it is the greatest blessing I have.I will see all 16 of them Easter Sunday.

We called our Grandma "Gram" or "Gramcracker"

Mine call me GIGI

Blog Entries
    My nephews called my granma when they were in a mischievous mood. They called their granma's , granma big house and granma caravan when not with them. When with them just gran. Grandads had the same big house or caravan added.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6