other names for grandma

Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 AM

I think it will come down to what the baby calls you, my oldest grandchild decided to call me DeeDee. Why?? Who knows!! LOL but it stuck, all the grands call me DeeDee! Thanks Corey LOL, my name is truly Jane!!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Here in the south, Maw Maw is used ALOT!

I'm meemaw but spelled differently: Mema. It started as a joke by my coworker but somehow stuck and the first time my first born grandson said it, my heart melted and I knew I was "Mema"! My mother was Granny to my children. I called my paternal grandmother "Grandmother" -- very formal -- but my cousin called her "Nana". I don't remember my name for my other grandmother, who died when I was very small, but think she was just "Grandma."

I have a friend who is "ghee" to her grandchildren. The oldest one just started calling her that; no one knows why. She loves it! For young modern grandmothers, I do think Mimi is nice. Avoid anything too long because little ones can't handle it and will shorten it anyway.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 AM
DJ

I haven't read all the responses and don't know if you've come up with something, but here's my story.

I suspected that my DGD would most likely be calling the other grandmother "Grandma" since she lived much closer. But she wouldn't make the "G" sound, so she would say "Mommy" for her mother and "Mama" for her other grandmother, and wouldn't call me anything. So we finally got her to say "Mimi" and that became my name. I did not want her to use my first name "Grandma Diane". When we finally settled on "Mimi" it was apparent that she was as pleased as I was that she had a name for me!

What nationality are you? Is there a term for Grandma in a different language that you like? My other DD married a German, so I'm sure the other grandmother (when they have children) will have the German term (whatever that is). I'd like to stick with Mimi, so all the grandchildren call me the same thing.

Congratulations BTW!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM

Cathy, so happy for you a new baby is always wonderful. When my DGD was born, she had 2 grandmothers and 2 great grandmothers. My SIL's mother was Grandma, his grandmother was Great Grandma. So my mother became GG for great grandma and I became Bubbie (yiddish for grandma). I am almost 20 years younger than my SIL's parents, so I was in my 40's when my DGD was born. I wanted to be called "The Young Fun Grandma", but my DD the killjoy wouldn't let that happen - lol. When my DGD started talking she changed some of the names, my mother when from being GG to being Grandma Woof (she had dogs that would bark when the phone would ring - and DGD loved to hear the dogs).
YaYa is Greek for grandma, just a thought.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

My grandson shortened the Mamaw to Ma. LOL. I'm Ma now. I feel like I'm on Litttle House on the Prairie.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 AM

I'm called Gaga by my grandchildren. Their other grandma is Mamma.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

My grands call me meme...
Old 03-28-2015, 01:21 PM

My first granddaughter named me MomMom and that is what I've been ever since. My husband is PopPop.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes it is the kids who come up with your name mostly by not being able to say what the parent call you.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 PM

My first grandson calls me "NeMa"...I just love it..I'm hoping my other grandson will call me that once he starts talking..