Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: other names for grandma

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    That was a fun list to read. It did have "Glammy" which my dear friend chose, and I love her and she is great, but "glammy" she is not!

We are Grandma and Grandpa and I never worried about it making me sound old. Mr. Stitchnripper is 12 years my junior and step grandparent and he embraced the Grandpa and the grandkids adore him. Their other grandmother chose Nana. We were very close which was great for the kids but sadly, she passed a couple of years ago.

If I couldn't be Grandma I'd want to be Grammy, Gram or something like that with my initial or name. Like Grammy A.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I was "chicken gramma" until the kids got old enough to drop the chicken part. The other DGM lives in the city.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Around here, we are Grammy & Papa.
    Great-grandma became Gigi~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I had two wonderful grandmothers. Mom's mother was Granny. Dad's mom was Grandma. Never had to wonder which one I was speaking about.
    My husband's two oldest grandchildren, now in their 30's, have always called him Pancake. When first grandchild Kristi was about two she announced she had so many grandfathers - her dad's father, her dad's grandfather, her mother's father, her mother's stepfather, and even my dad got in there. My parents became Grandma and Grandpa Ted. Because we always took the family to IHOP when we visited them in Florida my husband became "the Pancake Grandpa" which quickly became Pancake. The other grandchildren call him Grandpa Jack (and me Grandma Verna) but to Kristi and Bobby it's Pancake to this day.

Blog Entries
    I am one of many Grandmothers. I tried for Grandmama but it didn't take. I think I"m GrandmaCase and Mom to my son. Had to call my own Mother, Mother. Never Mom.

I like granny. It might sound old but you can keep that name till you are great great grandma. My kids chose what the grand children call me. It ranges from oma, bubu to grandma. It is all good as long as they call me.
    Anna Quilts

I am called Noni by all of my grands and great grands...AND great-great grands! Guess it'll stick....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

..."Change garland to grand

Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    My DIL will be called Grammy with her first grandchild. Since, I am great garland, I wonder what I will be called.
    Please change garland to grand.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Since I grew up speaking French, my grandmas were Memere....with the last name.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Congratulations on your new adventure in life. And it will be great.
    We did not live close to the grand parents, (military family) so we had grandma and grandpa Kansas and grandma and grandpa P( our last name initial) Our grand children called us grapes and grames because the parents would say "we are going to grampas and grandmas) The younger ones would pick it up from the older ones.
    Last edited by misspriss; 03-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am due to have my first grandson in about 16 day (give or take a day or so).
    My name is going to be Yaya (at least for now, might just go to nana).
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

My mom was known as "Gram" to the grandchildren. I have a friend who is called "Honey" by her grandchildren, and her mother is "G.G." for "great grandma".

I'm Nana and that's what I wanted. I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter's tell me what to be called by my grandchildren just as I wouldn't dream of telling them they should be called momma, mommy, mom - whatever.

My grands call us grandma and grandpa and the other grandparents, oma and papa. My sisters grandkids call her gma. My husband called his grandparents popeye and grannie.
    Pat in MN

My Grandkids call me Grammie and they call my husband Happy..
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Blog Entries
    Why not let the child choose?

My oldest son was first grandchild on both sides of the family. My Mum wanted to be Granny, but he decided to call her Mama. I was Mummy. He called his dad's mum Grandma Roberts (yes always with her last name).

He called my dad Par-par. There was no other grandpa when he was born. Later when Grandma Roberts remarried, he called her husband Grandpa David.

I had a Granny and Great Granny on Mum's side, plus a Grandpa until I was 8. My dad's Mum was called Mar-mar. I named her that when I started to talk and it stuck until she died when I was 16. All the family called her Mar-mar, including my friends.

My younger two kids have Nana (xh mum) and Mama, but often call them Grandma Nana and Grandma Mama.

Grandpa Bill is (xh) Dad and Grandpa David is Mama's second husband (not Grandma Roberts second husband).
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

My Mom was Grammy, which I really liked, but it was in use...

My son asked me what I wanted my grandma name to be. I took some time and thought about it. Then I let him know that I would like to be called "Oma" or "Gma" as they sound loving and friendly to me. I also told him that I was already used to either of those names, since he and his siblings so often addressed me as "Gee, Ma,..." or "Oh, Ma, ..." His response to me started with."Gee, Ma" I stopped him and said "I rest my case."

He and his then girlfriend chose "Oma". Later, my Mother told me that "Oma" was the German Grandmother name.

It is the name I most love to hear. It means my grandchildren are nearby!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Unfortunately, the ss takeback of $$ is the law. It's on the SS web page, and available for us to see and read every day. Most of us don't take in the details of things like SS - including me, so we get surprised by stuff like this. The government had no choice. But, yeah, sometimes we wish that the govenment would make a mistake in our favor.

any grand parent name is really ok, if it's said with love and respect, especially from a child.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

We are a blended family. My DIL parents divorced, and both married again. She also has a child from a previous relationship. We don't do "steps", so there are great grandmas, and grandmas.....all called gramma Nancy, gramma Mary, etc. I think there are 7 of us!! Same with "grampas". Not sure how it evolved to "gramma"....but works for us!

My first granddaughter was given my name as her middle name, so I wanted her to associate that with me. I became GrammyLynn. It stuck with some of the other grandkids, but otherwise I'm Grammy and my husband chose Papa. My brother's daughter lives in AZ, while he and his wife live here in Vermont. The grandbaby calls her Gram'Mont which I think is kind of cute. For you I agree GrammaCathy would be nice. But whatever you are called, it will be the best thing in life to have a little grand.

So much depends on the child. My mother's mother wanted to be called Grandmother or Grandmama. Well, my oldest sister called her "Mama" and since she was the cutest little girl in the world according to my grandmother, she became "Mama". All three of us called her that. But my cousins called her "Grandmother".
    My mother was Grandmama to my kids because that is what the cousins called her and my dad was "Granddaddy". We lived 1300 miles away so when they were learning to talk the grandparents were not around. They called my in-laws "Grandma" and "Grandpa" because that is what they wanted to be called.

I am called grandma and grandpa Twinkie. My grandkislove my dog hostess Twinkie. They have five grandmas who all live close to them except me which is seven hrs away. So as long as they remembered me I am happy. Funny I mail stuff at the post office and they comment on how they all know me.

Blog Entries
    All my kids and 5 of my sisters boys call my parents grandma and grandpa. The 6th boy and my other sisters daughter calls my parents Nana and Papa.

When I was old enough to talk, I called my grandma....grandma...BUT....I called my grandpa Curly!!!! Because he had curly hair and looked just like the one guy on the 3 stooges (the one that is bald on top and curly hair around the sides and back cant think of his name right off hand)

If and when I become a grandma, I would love for my grandkids to call me Granny or Grandma but I would be happy with whatever they were to call me as long as they don't call me late for supper. )) lol
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

My dad's mother was called "Grandmommy" until the day she passed away at age 96, just a few years ago. My mom's mother was called "Mamaw" by some of us, and "Granny" by others. Good luck on choosing a name. And Congratulations on the grandson!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

My grandchildren call me Gigi.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast