View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM
luvspaper

I thread baste, but do agree with RST to think about how you will quilt it in the end. I have a small plastic basket where I keep my needles, matching threads, papers, etc. Then I usually end up with parts sewn together in a shoebox until I get them lined up on my design wall to complete the top.

Pinterest also has lots of posts on EPP. If I were starting out, I would go with a simple pattern (maybe even just scrappy).

Think about getting paper punches if you can find the right shapes in the right sizes. My first two quilts (throw-twin sized) I cut out all the pieces separately. You can also find them online at Paper Pieces, but they can get expensive.

On my third one that I am just starting, I got a punch and love it! I don't have to take the time to cut each paper piece and the punch was 50% at Michaels.

I also print up some hexie graph paper for free and often draw out my pattern if it is not a simple Grandmother's Flower Garden. The one I am doing now I saw on Pinterest but there was no pattern, just a picture that I am trying to replicate.

Beware, EPP is addictive! I pretty much expect to have an EPP project going at all times (on top of machine piecing/quilting other quilts).