Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to try out EPP, advice? >

Want to try out EPP, advice?

Want to try out EPP, advice?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM

Default Want to try out EPP, advice?

I have a pile of UFOs that I plan to finish this year before starting a new project, but, well... I am having that itch to do a hand stitched project, and visions of darling hexies are dancing in my head.

EPP is new to me, but I do have some hexagon papers and glue sticks that I bought a while back sitting around, and I ordered a couple little EPP block kits from Etsy today along with a template for fussy cutting...

I have seen an image floating around Pinterest of a box of hexies sorted by color, and I have heard other people saying they just stitch hexies whenever they need to keep their hands busy during free time, thus building up a stash of them. This appeals to me as something I could do when I can't be at my machine. (even though I really should be working on the other hand stitched projects I have waiting for me)

So... what's your advice on delving into the world of EPP? I don't have any particular projects in mind, but it would be fun to start making hexies to possibly use in making a bag or some other small project before I tackle a whole quilt.

I am looking for advice along the lines of:
  • glue vs thread basting
  • how do you store your hexie stash
  • favorite patterns
  • favorite tutorials/sites/books
  • anything you wish you had known/done when starting out
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 AM
RST

I like glue basting. Sewline glue stick is nice to work with.

I keep a small cosmetic kit with some to work on in my tote bag. The completed segments i keep in a show box ready for construction.

Take a look on Facebook for groups that are devoted to fussy cutting, EPP. There are generous souls there who share photos and links.

One thing to think about early on in your process is how you intend to quilt your project. Because EPP is all hand work, some people feel they need to also hand quilt. I tend to disagree, as I like to get some pretty heavy FMQ on my projects to really stabilize them, specially something that will be used and washed a lot like a bag or pillow.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM

I thread baste, but do agree with RST to think about how you will quilt it in the end. I have a small plastic basket where I keep my needles, matching threads, papers, etc. Then I usually end up with parts sewn together in a shoebox until I get them lined up on my design wall to complete the top.

Pinterest also has lots of posts on EPP. If I were starting out, I would go with a simple pattern (maybe even just scrappy).

Think about getting paper punches if you can find the right shapes in the right sizes. My first two quilts (throw-twin sized) I cut out all the pieces separately. You can also find them online at Paper Pieces, but they can get expensive.

On my third one that I am just starting, I got a punch and love it! I don't have to take the time to cut each paper piece and the punch was 50% at Michaels.

I also print up some hexie graph paper for free and often draw out my pattern if it is not a simple Grandmother's Flower Garden. The one I am doing now I saw on Pinterest but there was no pattern, just a picture that I am trying to replicate.

Beware, EPP is addictive! I pretty much expect to have an EPP project going at all times (on top of machine piecing/quilting other quilts).
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM

The Fiskars extra large punch makes hexies with 1" sides and that are 2" across.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM

http://faeriesandfibres.blogspot.com/ I agree with RST and luvspaper for their hints. The site posted is one I go to almost daily, just for inspiration. She has lots of ideas, and instructions. She always has a quilt in the making. I do thread basting, but you should really try both thread and glue to see which you like best. I haven't done the glue, so can't respond. Besides hexagons, you can do diamonds for stars, and the elongated hex for the Lucy Boston blocks. Among others! There are so many tutes on line, and pinterest has a wealth of photos. Like luvspaper said, it is very addicting. Just go for it and have fun!! I have a little basket by my chair for all my "stuff" I store them in a flat gift box. The punch sounds like a great idea for one inch hexies, which is what I mostly use, but I just print the hexagons on scrap paper and cut them out.

Last edited by humbird; 03-31-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I recently changed from the thick vinyl hexes and much prefer the glue stick rather then trying to take out the basting. I saw this design by Lynnie and have been working on this table runner for a friend. I think you can cut out three hexes (1" side) from a charm square.
Attached Thumbnails hex-layout-1.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

Don't whipstitch. Your stitches will show no matter what kind of thread you use and how tight you pull the stitches. Use a ladder stitch instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515436[/ATTACH]
I like to use Superior's Bottom Line thread on bobbins for hand-piecing and applique. It is strong, fine, will sink beautifully into the fabric, and you can purchase an assortment of colors in a donut at a very affordable price.

Attached Thumbnails ladder-stitch-1.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 PM

When I say I thread baste, none of my thread goes through my paper or the front of the hexie. I just baste the corners and 1 inch and smaller don't need to be basted to the paper. So no basting to pull out later.

On my modified Lucy Boston, I had some 1 inch squares and 3 inch squares that I used, and those I needed to baste thru the paper. It wasn't too difficult to pull out. I'll try to post a picture although it is not that great.
Attached Thumbnails mod-lucy-boston1.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I also visit faeries & fibers daily. Fun to watch her projects also Hexie love and I am participating in the Millefiore sew along. I'm still working on January's block but I only work on it during breaks at work. I love watching everyone else's progress it is inspiring and its not a race, doesn't matter if it takes me a long time. I love English paper piecing!
Attached Thumbnails img_20150329_173638.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Maniac i'm still chugging away at mine. I use the Fiskers 3/4" punch. I now love junk mail, they make the best hexes. I loosely cut my fabric for about 3/4" over hang preside. I put a dab of a glue stick on the paper and flod over and baste by hand. I've done a quilt for my cat (about 55 x 60) or so and now am working on this monster I have. I use the glue and love that method, but is also hand baste. the glue dot keeps it from shifting when i'm basting. show us your project. it's fun and addicting. Fiskers also makes a larger punch 1" sides.