View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Macybaby

I started with the basic block, cut at 1.5", sewn to 1". I went 12 x 12 blocks to make it 12" finished. So it's 144 blocks, each one three pieces. So if I did my math right - that is 432 pieces.

I don't really use a template, I just sort of figure something and go with it. I cut the black strip at 3/4" wide, sewed it to one side and then pressed, and when I sewed the other side, I lined up with the sewing line and made sure to sew 1/4" away from it, lining up the edges, but not using them as the sewing reference. I wanted the black to be as uniform as I could get it.

I started with the basic 6 x6 and then went out from there, just looking at it and thinking what might look neat.

I consider doing these as "training". It's really helping me build skills and have fun while doing it. And if the end result isn't perfect, it doesn't really matter because the main goal is experience building. And making mistakes is a great way to learn what works and what does not. I have many, many years experience sewing clothing - but just a few with quilting.

I have a tendency to get sloppy with my 1/4" seam - too use to sewing 5/8" where the main thing was a straight seam. So this block was a lot of practice trying to be way more precise.