Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: April 2015 Piece & Cut BOM

Blog Entries

April 2015 Piece & Cut BOM

Here is another of my original designs.
    This is a 12 1/2" unfinished quilt block
    You can make it larger or smaller by using a different size template.
    You can use this quilt block any way you like.

If you need a template just pm me and send me your postal address.
    DO NOT put your address within your post on this thread!!
    I send the 2 1/2" out for free.

This Quilt Block is made with my Triple Strip shortcut block
    Here are the directions:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...k-t167602.html

Name:  APRIL BOM 350.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  LAYOUT350.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  40.1 KB

Here are some quilt ideas-
    ....The only thing I changed are the colors
    If you'd like to see the layout for the quilt with the yellow added
    just let me know and I'll be happy to post it here.

Name:  AAAAAAAAA.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  Pink and Red with corner blocks.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  yyyyy.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  189.5 KB

Very nice !

Love the block. Wonderful quilt designs.

Blog Entries
    thanks for posting another great design.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I like the one with the yellow. wondering how it would look to extend the yellow so it makes big X;s across the whole quilt. or maybe the red so it looks a little more diagonal - will be a fun one to play with a bit.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I like the block and the quilts. Thinking I will give it a go in a few days. Very intriguing block...I wonder what...kind of thing. Thanks for posting it and the tutorial which I'm excited about trying.

Amazing how different the third one is. Just color placement.

Blog Entries
    thanks everyone I hope you have fun with this one! Yes it always amazes me how just changing colors will make such a difference.

I like the third quilt the best. It shows a more definite pattern. You just keep on amazing me....
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    Thanks Katie! You know how much fun I have playing with my blocks LOL

I decided I'd just do a one block medallion - but I got a bit carried away.

Ending up with a 12" block - that has 432 pieces. that's a record for me so far -

Time to get back to sewing. I have a today off work, but I also have to paint my Sewing Machine Shed - inside and out.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

This was an experiment - and I decided I wasn't going to get worried about lining everything up. After all while, just getting it all together was challenging enough LOL!!

I got to this point and decided I'd better take a picture for reference, or I'd never get it laid back out correctly. And it's a good thing as I had three blocks in teh center with the wrong color combination- so I'd have never figured out where they went LOL!! I didn't realize it until they were sewed in pairs and I was matching my picture (printed BW) and then had to go look at the color one and realized my mistake.

The completed block -

And the back side. There is more fabric in the seam allowances than on the face of the quilt.

This is one of the few blocks I starched after getting it finished. I pinned it to the ironing board as I was pressing to hold it flat - and when it was blocked out decent, starched it so it would stay that way.

Blog Entries
    What did you think about making the quilt block? It looks great! However you've turned the blocks and created a different quilt block from the one above LOL

It is fun to turn the blocks and make different looks. I have several diff versions of quilt blocks from this set of blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    This was an experiment - and I decided I wasn't going to get worried about lining everything up. After all while, just getting it all together was challenging enough LOL!!

I got to this point and decided I'd better take a picture for reference, or I'd never get it laid back out correctly. And it's a good thing as I had three blocks in teh center with the wrong color combination- so I'd have never figured out where they went LOL!! I didn't realize it until they were sewed in pairs and I was matching my picture (printed BW) and then had to go look at the color one and realized my mistake.

The completed block -

And the back side. There is more fabric in the seam allowances than on the face of the quilt.

This is one of the few blocks I starched after getting it finished. I pinned it to the ironing board as I was pressing to hold it flat - and when it was blocked out decent, starched it so it would stay that way.
    That is awesome!!! You beat my record by 100 (my most pieces in a 12 inch is 324)
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Cathy what size is your quilt block? and what size template did you use? I count 12 blocks per row instead of the 6 I used. It turned out really pretty!

I started with the basic block, cut at 1.5", sewn to 1". I went 12 x 12 blocks to make it 12" finished. So it's 144 blocks, each one three pieces. So if I did my math right - that is 432 pieces.

I don't really use a template, I just sort of figure something and go with it. I cut the black strip at 3/4" wide, sewed it to one side and then pressed, and when I sewed the other side, I lined up with the sewing line and made sure to sew 1/4" away from it, lining up the edges, but not using them as the sewing reference. I wanted the black to be as uniform as I could get it.

I started with the basic 6 x6 and then went out from there, just looking at it and thinking what might look neat.

I consider doing these as "training". It's really helping me build skills and have fun while doing it. And if the end result isn't perfect, it doesn't really matter because the main goal is experience building. And making mistakes is a great way to learn what works and what does not. I have many, many years experience sewing clothing - but just a few with quilting.

I have a tendency to get sloppy with my 1/4" seam - too use to sewing 5/8" where the main thing was a straight seam. So this block was a lot of practice trying to be way more precise.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  89.8 KB
    Finished!! Thanks for the block, Rhonda, I really like the way it turned out! It'll either be a wall hanging or a table topper. My dining room is going to the blues. Planning dark blue binding!

lovely block!

Blog Entries
    Very striking and pretty BB! I'm glad you like it!

Love it!! I would love to have this pattern..

Blog Entries
    Codi this isn't a pattern so much as a method. You only need to follow the link posted above to the directions for making the individual Triple Strip Blocks Here it is again Rhonda's New Shortcut Block- Triple Strip Block

Once you have learned to make the triple strip blocks then choose your fabrics and follow the layout I show above to see where to put the colors.
    After you make the blocks you need then sew them into the quilt block.

The quilts I show are just Quilt blocks sewn together. The only difference between the Quilts I show is where I put the colors.